Bottling Sauce to sell

All depends on your state / local regulations.

My wife just went through the process here in North Carolina and she had to go take a class to become a certified acidic food supervisor. The place where she will be making the sauce had to be inspected / certified by the dept of agriculture.

Each of her sauces had to by submitted to the state for testing as well.

In addition to that she must keep detailed records, including lot numbers and etc. for each batch made.

This is in addition to all the "business" paperwork that was required, such a business license, tax ID # and all that type of stuff.

Sometimes it's easier to use a co-packer to get the ball rolling before you spend a lot of funds on packing equipment.

Yes we were thinking of using a co packer. So do we just make up ingredients list then take it to the CO packer??

yeah, they usually require a recipe to be measured by weight for each ingredient and not by cup/tablespoon ect. You'll also need labels, nutritional facts and a upc if sold in stores.

Yes we were thinking of using a co packer. So do we just make up ingredients list then take it to the CO packer??

you will need to give your recipe to the co-packer . Most will have you sign a disclosure with them to keep your recipe safe. Mine was good with regular measurements and not weights. they we also able to get the nutritional info for me
Other things you will need:
UPC Barcode - for each product
Labels - most co packers can direct you to the ones they work with
Liability Insurance - even though its just bbq sauce its the society we live in :p

All depends on your state / local regulations.

My wife just went through the process here in North Carolina and she had to go take a class to become a certified acidic food supervisor. The place where she will be making the sauce had to be inspected / certified by the dept of agriculture.

Each of her sauces had to by submitted to the state for testing as well.

In addition to that she must keep detailed records, including lot numbers and etc. for each batch made.

This is in addition to all the "business" paperwork that was required, such a business license, tax ID # and all that type of stuff.

You think that's fun...wait till she wants to cross state lines...LoL

Back