The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Georgia style bbq sauce recipe help (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162072)

SMOKINROOSTER 05-29-2013 04:46 PM

Georgia style bbq sauce recipe help

Does anyone have a Georgia style bbq sauce recipe they would like to share. I have tried many reciepes but none seem to capture that Georgia style I am looking for. When I say Georgia style I mean its just balanced not sweet at all. Vinegar, ketchup, sugar, kinda thin but not as thin as the shack attack recipe. The kind you find at bbq joints in Georgia. thanks for any help

Bludawg 05-29-2013 05:10 PM

Give this a shot it hails from Little Rock, Ar. but it's very close to what your lookin for

Shack BBQ Sauce Recipe
* reduce quantity notes below

Wet Stuff

Mix in a large bowl:

3 - 24 ounce bottles of ketchup

Use the plastic ones, we will refill after making sauce.

Fill with Grape Koolaide swoosh around and dump contents into bowl.

Pour in plain ole cheap vinegar. "THE" recipe calls for just less than a quart, do not sweat this. use anywhere from a pint to a quart, strangely, this amount has scant effect on final product.

Put "wet stuff' in a LARGE pan, put heat on "high"
by the time it is approaching a boil, you will have "dry stuff' prepared.

Dry Stuff:

Since you dumped wet stuff out of bowl, why not use for 'dry'?
Into bowl, dump:

1 - 4 ounce can of chili powder
1 - 4 ounce can of black pepper
1 - 4 ounce can of garlic salt (SALT, NOT garlic powder!!!)
1/2 cup - sugar (is the ORIGINAL amount, why not TRY that, and adjust to your very own taste after 'brewing' mess up...likewise with Tabasco. See below)
1 - small Tabasco (anywhere from 1 to 4 ounces..start with about 1 oz...you can 'play' to taste after whole mess is completed.
1 - small mustard (size of an apple, just regular ole smear on a hotdog yeller mustard)

Stir
...btw, easier to put the mustard in last, and just swirl around till it looks like chocolaty brown tar.

Simmer

Dump all this stuff into pan on stove now approaching a simmer stir enough to make it evenly liquid...bring to a boil and immediately lower heat to a simmer.

30 minutes, (stir fairly often to avoid sticking).. during which the vinegar will bring sweat to your forehead, and tears to your eyes...think ventilation here.

Finish

That is it.
Remove from heat, pour back into bottles you saved, unfortunately, you will have an excess of sauce. Improvise, all life has dry rot.

Additional Notes

Do NOT futz with the amount of black pepper. I KNOW it sounds like a lot. Trust me on this.

Also remember garlic SALT, not garlic powder!! several folks got this wrong, actually the sauce wasn't bad, but they were not fit as shipmates for WEEKS.

Do NOT judge 'heat', as in taste, by sipping off spoon from pot, even if you were stingy with the Tabasco. Dunk a piece of bread into sauce and sample that way.

*For reduced recipe (1/2 gal +)

1 qrt ketchup
12 oz cider vinegar
1 oz ea. black pepper, garlic salt,chili powder.( by weight)
1 qrt grape koolaide
1 oz hot sauce
2 oz worchestershire.
2 oz spicy mustard

SMOKINROOSTER 05-29-2013 05:16 PM

Thanks so much I will give it a try