• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

JB Weld

LloydQ

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hello all. I was trying to rig up a poor man's Trompo, and I hit on metal kebab skewer and a cheap 9" cake pan. Would some JB Weld on the fire side of the pan prove toxic to me and my loved ones? Please consider your replies carefully. There is $4.50 riding on this....

Get it good and hot before cooking, and any volitales will be eliminated.

You can only burn so much ...anything before it is gone.

I always have JB on hand and wouldn’t use it for that. It’s bound to fail with direct heat like that. Shares HF idea ain’t too shabby, a welder is always a good tool to have. If that’s not in the cards, run whichever die fits over the spit, and throw a couple of nuts and washers on it.

JB weld tastes good if you smoke it right! LOL!

All joking aside, what is a trompo? If I knew what it was maybe I could come up with a better solution than JB weld.

I believe that James Kilroy lives in Vicksburg. he has a fab shop and a YouTube channel. perhaps he could Tig it for you cheap. https://youtu.be/uPAk3Hbrdvs

Last edited:
JB weld tastes good if you smoke it right! LOL!

All joking aside, what is a trompo? If I knew what it was maybe I could come up with a better solution than JB weld.

I believe that James Kilroy lives in Vicksburg. he has a fab shop and a YouTube channel. perhaps he could Tig it for you cheap. https://youtu.be/uPAk3Hbrdvs

A Trompo is a spindle on a plate, basically.

A Trompo is a spindle on a plate, basically.

Thanks, I didn’t know what it was.
I assume you want to make one like this.
TK_8_800x_4f0e5135-19e0-4c0e-96cb-912b3c21309e_1200x1200.jpg

I wonder if you can use a slightly modified tiered serving tray.

Here is what I had in mind. Bend the eye of the skewer 90 degrees, poke the skewer through the pan, and seat the eye in a biob of JB Weld on the underside of the pan.

Last edited:
I used a steel rod from Home Depot. I threaded both ends with a threading die. Used a nut and washer on each side of the pan to lock it to the pan. I threaded the top of the rod so I can install a wing nut for a handle to let me lift the contraption. Have not used it yet but I think it will work.

https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/threads/jb-weld-question.563793/

Answer is surprise yes it is food safe and they make a high heat one that might be better.
Read this page lol. I am shocked it is ok.

I think subjecting JB Weld to direct flame is an entirely different matter. you might want to verify.

The most common epoxy resins are based on reacting epichlorohydrin (ECH) with bisphenol A, resulting in a different chemical substance known as bisphenol A diglycidyl ether.

Bisphenol A is an endocrine disruptor. Endocrine disruptors are chemicals that can interfere with endocrine (or hormonal) systems at certain doses. These disruptions can cause cancerous tumors, birth defects, and other developmental disorders. Any system in the body controlled by hormones can be derailed by hormone disruptors.

I think subjecting JB Weld to direct flame is an entirely different matter. you might want to verify.

The most common epoxy resins are based on reacting epichlorohydrin (ECH) with bisphenol A, resulting in a different chemical substance known as bisphenol A diglycidyl ether.

Bisphenol A is an endocrine disruptor. Endocrine disruptors are chemicals that can interfere with endocrine (or hormonal) systems at certain doses. These disruptions can cause cancerous tumors, birth defects, and other developmental disorders. Any system in the body controlled by hormones can be derailed by hormone disruptors.

Holy $#!+

Bend at loop and use a bolt washer nut combo to secure it though loop and bottom of pan. Fender washer should work

Wonder if you could could drill a 3/8 hole through the pan and install a 12” long 3/8” diameter stainless steel landscape spike up through the bottom of the pan and hold it in place with one of these 3/8” stainless steel grab rings.

Link to 3/8 stainless grab rings pack of 10 for $3.12 Parker 6GR-pk10 Plastic Fitting, Fast-Tite, Tube, Compression Grab Ring, 3/8" (Pack of 10)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075CLDBKR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_u5gxEbBD0XB44
10GR.png

Here is a link for a 12” long 3/8” diameter stainless steel landscape spike for $9.01.

Don’t get a spike with a galvanized coating. Cooking with galvanize will make you sick.

https://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/hardware/spike.html

71NR7_VWvIL._SL1500_ef5a60dc-d0f5-4f6b-bdb1-a2a1fae0e2d1_x700.jpg

Last edited:
This should be a sticky because it comes up all the time:

galvanized IS better off avoided, but zinc oxide is considered an irritant not a toxin, and the coating can easily be burned off in a well ventilated area

If you have a propane torch you could always pick up a brazing rod at home depot. They are easy to use and cheap. The strength is really strong too. Watch a couple YouTube videos on how to do it. It is basically just like soldering copper pipe but at a much higher heat.

Back