• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mini WSM build.... Grates don't fit

Pyrotech

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Thought I would try my hand at a building a mini WSM. The First pot I bought the lid didn't fit, and in the process of crimping the edge I ruined the first pot.

So for the next attempt I bought the 32qt Vasconia, this time the lid fit nicely. but the grates from the smokey Joe #7431 do not fit inside the pot.

what is the correct grate to fit inside? or is the pot i bought just off a bit

I have the Vasconia and the grate fits, but I kinda have to angle it in - it doesn't just go right in - it takes a little angling/jiggling sometimes to get past the rivets for the handles.

I have the vasconia as well. Are you just getting hung up on the rivets?

Try it from a lot of different angles...mine is finicky, but I can eventually get them into the pot.

I have the Vasconia and the grate fits, but I kinda have to angle it in - it doesn't just go right in - it takes a little angling/jiggling sometimes to get past the rivets for the handles.

it tried that, I can get one side in just fine, and I can even force the other side over the handle rivets. but it just will not fit. It does seem to fit if I stand it on edge. So I don't see why it will not fit. seems like something is out by about an 1/8 of an inch is all.

worried if I force it i might mess up the fit of the lid

My grates are a tight fit. Not much extra room.

I think all these mass produced parts are never exact and off by some tolerances one way or the other.

My grates are a tight fit. Not much extra room.

I bent the grate trying to get it to fit, and even then it would not go all the way in.

its off by the thickness of the outer ring. the steamer insert fit inside the the bottom edge perfecty.

The cooking grate that came with the joe didn't fit? My extra grate i got off if Amazon.

I think all these mass produced parts are never exact and off by some tolerances one way or the other.

even worse, stacking tolerances. both of them could be off +/- and together they end up being really off.

Just checked...i got the 7431 and it fits great. Sorry to hear your problems....most likely the pot is off in size.

The only thing i can think to try is grinding off a fraction off the outside edge on the grates.

The grates were a tight fit in a couple that I made.

The only thing i can think to try is grinding off a fraction off the outside edge on the grates.
If you had a welder instead of a grinder you would think of something else. :biggrin1:

I cut the outer ring between a couple of the longest cross pieces and removed a little material. You can test fit to see how much needs to be removed. My son then welded the outer ring back together and that solved the problem. You can hardly tell that the grate was altered.

If you don't have access to a welder, take the grate to someone who does along with a pound or so of pulled pork, half a slab or ribs or whatever and cultivate a relationship.

Hmm, I started with a brand new sjs and new Imusa 32 quart with the insulated handles. The cooking grates from the sjs fit perfectly. Not a lot of play, but they fit right in.

Weber's new tactic for forcing you to buy their new 14.5 WSM.....LOL...

Back