The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Are Ole Hickory Pits Suitable for the Common Man? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258051)

AKMIMNAK 03-11-2018 09:42 PM

Are Ole Hickory Pits Suitable for the Common Man?

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/ole-hickory-ace-jw

The only guy I've ever seen use one is Malcom Reed from howtobbqright.com and Killer Hogs comp team. I am not even close to being a comp BBQer, so I'm wondering, do regular joes use these smokers, are are they only for restaurants and comp teams?

Reasons I'm interested in one:

1) In a few years will likely be moving to an area of the country that has virtually no access to hardwoods (or good smokers). So, my stick burner will be useless (I'll be selling it). Next best thing IMO is charcoal with some wood chunks. I'd like to buy a dream smoker and throw it in the Uhaul when I depart. Ole Hickory's price point certainly falls in the "dream" range :)

2) I'm not really interested in a pellet cooker. However....

3) I do like the convenience of some "set it and forget it" type features, which the Ole Hickory has (convection fan, temp control).

Is an Ole Hickory the best fit for my situation?

tom b 03-11-2018 10:40 PM

I say get one and report back as a service to the brethren, honestly IDK

Westx 03-11-2018 10:47 PM

IMO I would look into other brands like Lonestar Grillz, Humphrey's or several of the other IVS builders. The downside to me of the Old Hickory is the max temp of 275 and the quantity of meat you can cook for the price point.

luv2smoke 03-11-2018 11:28 PM

Like Westx says, max temp of 275 would be the deal killer for me. I'd certainly be looking at an IVS were it me. What part of the country are you moving to with no hardwoods or good smokers, kind of sounds like hell to me?

Czarbecue 03-11-2018 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2smoke (Post 3965233)
What part of the country are you moving to with no hardwoods or good smokers, kind of sounds like hell to me?

Moving further up north? Gah...

Personally, I just don't like relying on an outlet for my barbecue. A battery operated fan? Sure, why not. But something large enough to be tripped by a dryer or a microwave... No.

Nuco59 03-12-2018 06:27 AM

The 275* upper end is the only bothersome thing to me. The dependence on electricity might be looked on as a "yeah- and?".

All that said, I'd pass. Get a LSG, Backwoods, Humphreys and party on.

AKMIMNAK 03-12-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2smoke (Post 3965233)
Like Westx says, max temp of 275 would be the deal killer for me. I'd certainly be looking at an IVS were it me. What part of the country are you moving to with no hardwoods or good smokers, kind of sounds like hell to me?

Alaska. My homeland :) The pros far outweigh the cons. Can't wait to go back. BBQ is growing there so the smokers will (hopefully) come. Hard to create hard woods though. Spruce rules the day in the region where I grew up. Aspen and birch are really the only options. Not so much for smoking.

AKMIMNAK 03-12-2018 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuco59 (Post 3965298)
The 275* upper end is the only bothersome thing to me. The dependence on electricity might be looked on as a "yeah- and?".

All that said, I'd pass. Get a LSG, Backwoods, Humphreys and party on.

Is there a way to add temp control to these? I'm totally ignorant on these brands and all vertical units. Never even looked at verticals before.

Smokey Lonesome 03-12-2018 05:26 PM

Brethren Jimsbarbecue will hopefully chime in as he has experience with tha ACE BP model.

The units do have temperature control built in. Jim can elaborate.

Good luck.

Nuco59 03-12-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKMIMNAK (Post 3965587)
Is there a way to add temp control to these? I'm totally ignorant on these brands and all vertical units. Never even looked at verticals before.

Never looked at verticals? You should check out the home pages for all 3 - they have cookers for most every budget. Yes, bigger ones will cost more- but if you need bigger, they got 'em. Temp controllers are very popular on insulated verticals and most manufacturers have at at least one option you can click on- just like extra grates, drip tray, custom color....

KevinJ 03-12-2018 05:31 PM

You can get a BBQ Guru to control temps on and insulated cabinet. I personally think the Ole Hickory is an awesome cooker too, would love to own one more so than a insulated cabinet.

medic92 03-12-2018 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKMIMNAK (Post 3965586)
Alaska. My homeland :) The pros far outweigh the cons. Can't wait to go back. BBQ is growing there so the smokers will (hopefully) come. Hard to create hard woods though. Spruce rules the day in the region where I grew up. Aspen and birch are really the only options. Not so much for smoking.

Isn't there a fair amount of Alder up there?

Demosthenes 03-12-2018 06:23 PM

No experience with them, but the fact that it has moving parts ( rotating racks) is a deal breaker for me....however, the one that has stationary racks would be considered. :-)

Westx 03-12-2018 07:04 PM

Also ther is a pitmaker here in Texas that got his start in Alaska. I want to say the name is Rocking W Smokers. Give him a call and talking to him about the situation.

AKMIMNAK 03-12-2018 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medic92 (Post 3965598)
Isn't there a fair amount of Alder up there?

There is in some parts. But Alaska is huge and my region not so much. Lots of alder and willow bushes, I believe, which the moose eat. But not so much on the trees. People with woodstoves are burning alot of birch because it's the best they've got.