WSM Fire Control

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Did a little spring cleaning on the deck today. Moved all but the WSM and my new SS redhead performer into the garage. In doing so I mistakenly moved the old black kettle I used to put my charcoal starter in while its getting fired up as well. So being lazy and inventive I figured I'd but the starter on the lower grate of the WSM. Open it up and no bottom grate. So what to do?

I place the starter on top of the burnt drippings from my last cook I didn't clean out. Did I mention I'm lazy? So while the chimney is starting up I go inside to start prepping the meatloaf. About 15 minutes later I look out the kitchen window and see a foot of flames roaring out the top of the WSM. Hey that's something new!! I head out and realize that I just started my first grease fire. With my trusty weber glove I grabbed the chimney (half the handle is melted) and move it to safety but the fire is still going. Then I go through my mental checklist...

Water? Nah I heard that makes it worse.

Salt? Maybe because I heard that somewhere on the internet so it must be true.

Fire extinguisher? No way! Not in my smoker.

Then I just put the lid on and made sure the dampers were closed. Bam. It worked. So not only did I learn that I can put a fire out in the WSM but now I have a reason to scrub it out as well for the spring/summer season.

Last edited:
Back