Superior Smokers SS-1 Maiden Voyage Brisket Pron

que_dawg

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I had to season an SS-1 for the 2013 Smoker Throwdown, so I figured I would throw a brisket flat on there. No injection, just a good smattering of Plow Boys Bovine Bold. The cook went very smooth. I ran it along at 250* for about 3 hours and then I bumped it up to 300 after I wrapped it. I didn't really have to bump the temp up, I just wanted to play with my CyberQ WiFi and bump it up from my couch, because I could.

I think the brisket turned out great, it had a great smoke ring from the green peach wood that I used and had a good pull. It also turned out nice and juicy considering I didn't inject. I got pretty lucky with this Choice flat that I picked up from SAM's.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 2013-01-05 13.05.27.jpg
    2013-01-05 13.05.27.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 510
  • 2013-01-05 20.12.35.jpg
    2013-01-05 20.12.35.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 508
  • 2013-01-05 08.57.48.jpg
    2013-01-05 08.57.48.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 507
That looks pretty dang good to me. Mind if I ask what kind of burn times you can get out of that cooker at 225-250?

I see your water pan in there. Did you use water or dry?

I used it dry, I really only use that pan to catch the grease. I have never actually filled the water pan with water, I haven't felt like I needed it.

That looks pretty dang good to me. Mind if I ask what kind of burn times you can get out of that cooker at 225-250?

If I cook between 225* and 250* I have never had to refuel. One weekend soon I will fill the chute to the top and see just how long the cooker will burn on 1 chute of charcoal. That would be an interesting test. I don't know that I have seen anyone actually test the burn time on one of these.

Last edited:
Bovine Bold is a great rub choice. :thumb:

That was the first time I have tried Bovine Bold, it is a great rub, I was very happy with it. It was a very good balance of peppery vs. spice for me. I will definitely use it again.

I filled my water pan with sand and wrap it with foil. It catches the juices and makes cleanup easy. The sand in the pan service as a diffuser and a heat sink keeping temps steady. B

I started my SS-One up at 6:00pm on Saturday night, loaded it up with 2 butts and 2 chuckies at 9:00, and it finally ran out of fuel and dropped temp at 8:00 on Sunday morning. And that was running at 250* on the Guru.

So I got 14 hours out of 1 chute of Royal oak (about 10lb) in 26* temps!

I started my SS-One up at 6:00pm on Saturday night, loaded it up with 2 butts and 2 chuckies at 9:00, and it finally ran out of fuel and dropped temp at 8:00 on Sunday morning. And that was running at 250* on the Guru.

Thanks for the input. There's two things I want in life. A Toyota Tacoma crew cab pick-up and a gravity feed smoker. Here's to hoping that one of those come true. :biggrin1:

I would think that you could expect to get longer burn times out of a chute of briquettes. Man, I wish I knew someone that had two SS-1s that could do a side by side test, one with regular briquettes and on with hardwood lump.... :biggrin1:

I would think that you could expect to get longer burn times out of a chute of briquettes. Man, I wish I knew someone that had two SS-1s that could do a side by side test, one with regular briquettes and on with hardwood lump.... :biggrin1:

Looks like the R&D department has a lot of testing to do....hahaha

I started the SS-1 yesterday at 5PM with a full chute (roughly 20 lbs.) and cooked all night long at 225*. I bumped it up at 2:30PM today to 250* to finish off a butt that was running long. As of right now I am still going strong at 250* with 1/4 of a chute left to burn. The temp here last night got down to 32*.

I am running Kingsford Blue, just because that's what I had. I would expect that lump would not burn nearly as long. I will test that soon.

Finally dipped below 225* at around 6 AM this morning. 36 hrs out of one chute of charcoal. I will test the run time on lump soon.

Back