The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   HELP! Set It And Forget It My @ss (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170549)

Porcine Perfection 09-08-2013 08:27 AM

HELP! Set It And Forget It My @ss

My usually reliable 18" WSM let me down (because we all we know it isn't the cook :tsk:) and it looks like I will be doing my first hot and fast 16 lb. brisket.

I started my fire around one (CDT) this morning and went to bed when the temp was at 225 and still climbing to my set temp of 275 using an Auber temp controller. I woke up about about 7:30 to a pit temp of 190. The IT of the brisket is 145.

I was hoping to have this done by Noon and be ready to eat by three. Anyone have an opinion on time and temps to accomplish this? I guess foiling or butcher paper will be happening.

Thanks in advance.

nthole 09-08-2013 08:30 AM

A lot of guys looooow cook a brisket pretty regularly. I'm guessing you have enough smoke on it. I think I'd just wrap it and bring up the temp to 300 to finish it. You might even consider just moving it to the oven.

What's the current internal meat temp?

cirk 09-08-2013 08:36 AM

The int would be a big missing clue

Porcine Perfection 09-08-2013 08:38 AM

I just went out and checked. The IT of the brisket is 145, so I guess I had some heat on it overnight.

Ron_L 09-08-2013 08:40 AM

If the bark looks OK then foil it and crank the heat or put it in the oven. If the bark needs more time get the WSM up to 300 and foil it when the bark looks OK.

FireChief 09-08-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 2616877)
If the bark looks OK then foil it and crank the heat or put it in the oven. If the bark needs more time get the WSM up to 300 and foil it when the bark looks OK.

Yup. And as everybody is saying, don't be afraid to put it in the oven. Nobody will care but you
!

thirdeye 09-08-2013 09:06 AM

Foil is a tool, not a rule.... and it sounds like you need it for this cook. Give it a shot and see how fast it tenders up.

Worst case, you can always call 1-800-Dominos about 2:30.

landarc 09-08-2013 09:39 AM

Put the spurs to it, 325F and get it cooking. When the color is right, wrap and keep it going, it will then need to rest on the counter at least 1 hour, 2 is better

Bludawg 09-08-2013 10:35 AM

Never trust a sleazy blower with your meat! If there is a fire in the pit you need to be up. Me I'm to old for all them long hrs so H&F is the rule.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 09-08-2013 10:49 AM

As to why not set and forget a WSM.

First, what fuel did you use? Lump can burn down pretty fast when you get up to 275. Second, ash build up can reduce the airflow enough to cause a problem, even with lump. It gets worse with Kingsford blue briquettes.

Hope things work out for you. Very good advise to wrap and crank up the heat.

Porcine Perfection 09-08-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke (Post 2617005)
As to why not set and forget a WSM.

First, what fuel did you use? Lump can burn down pretty fast when you get up to 275. Second, ash build up can reduce the airflow enough to cause a problem, even with lump. It gets worse with Kingsford blue briquettes.

Hope things work out for you. Very good advise to wrap and crank up the heat.

I am using the same setup that I have used many times. Kingsford blue minion method. I do usually wait until it gets to temp before laying down for a bit. Of course the one time I don't... :doh:

I wrapped it an hour ago and it is coming along nicely. Bluedawg almost had me talked into doing one hot and fast anyway so we will see how tender it is.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Ole Man Dan 09-08-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2616994)
Never trust a sleazy blower with your meat! If there is a fire in the pit you need to be up. Me I'm to old for all them long hrs so H&F is the rule.

Same here. I never put my complete faith in my equipment cruising all night w/o a little maintenance.
I abandoned Low & Slow after one particularity agonizing Brisket.
NOW... I get up, fire up the Offset and get Briskets & Butts done before the evening meal.

jeffturnerjr 09-08-2013 12:14 PM

How's it coming JP?

Fwismoker 09-08-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2616994)

I'll take my sleazy blower all day long and sleep like a baby. PitMaster IQ

thunter 09-08-2013 12:22 PM

My WSMs work great w/o any temp controllers. I'm not knocking them, I just haven't needed to use them with the WSM, and I do get "some" sleep at night. Once my WSM temps get set, they usually stay where I want it to the end... if the weather conditions are not bad. In that case, I have to be a little more diligent about tending the pit. For me, the perfect "set and forget" scenario lets me get a few hours of sleep so that I'm not dead beat in the morning. Other than that, I fully expect to have to do a little pit-tending when I cook.