The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Do you drag your smoker to your Commercial Kitchen? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103565)

TheMidnightSmoker 03-31-2011 12:40 PM

Do you drag your smoker to your Commercial Kitchen?

I am just starting my “Official” catering business and I need to know how you caterers do it. Specifically, how do you do your pick- up or drop-off catering? My local health Department requires that I use a Commercial Kitchen/Commissary. I am sure yours probably does to and I am guessing most of you do not own one but rent space in one. So when you are cooking Que for a customer to pick-up do you actually drag your smoker to the Commercial Kitchen or are you only doing the prep work there and smoking the meat somewhere else?

PCDoctor_1979 03-31-2011 01:27 PM

The short answer is yes - I park the smoker next to the kitchen. Of course, HD rules vary a great deal from state to state so your results may vary. In this case, most inspectors will look for the cooker to be very close to the prep area.

worthsmokin 03-31-2011 08:51 PM

Check with your HD. Maybe the case you can't carry product outside/inside to the smoker without it being screened and covered.

yelonutz 04-01-2011 12:49 AM

I think most folks, if they were truthful, bring their smoker to the commercial kitchen with a wink and a nod. You deliver the food and IF there is a problem, of course you cooked it there. Let them prove you wrong. I dont think this is the answer you are looking for but in reality, an honest one.

NUTZ

Cabntmkr1 04-02-2011 11:17 AM

In Kansas, we have the option of using an RV, or in my case, a travel trailer as our commercial
kitchen. Also, they will give an exemption in Kansas for the 3-bay sink requirement as long as you have a bus tub set up in place of the third bay of the sink when/if HD drops by for a visit.
That way, I cook at home by having the smoker right outside of my commercial kitchen.

thillin 04-03-2011 03:59 PM

Here in North Texas, the comercial kitchen is also a requirement for grey water disposal for certified trailers.

jbrink01 04-03-2011 07:07 PM

My trailer is my commercial kitchen........

C Rocke 04-03-2011 11:22 PM

Need to check with DEH - CA code is either "cooked on site" at the customer's location, or cooked in the commercial kitchen - That is to say inside the location in an NSF approved unit. That applies to "pick up" customers. Cutting corners and bending the rules can affect your liability insurance and permits/licenses. Be careful!

TheMidnightSmoker 04-03-2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C Rocke (Post 1599673)
Need to check with DEH - CA code is either "cooked on site" at the customer's location, or cooked in the commercial kitchen - That is to say inside the location in an NSF approved unit. That applies to "pick up" customers. Cutting corners and bending the rules can affect your liability insurance and permits/licenses. Be careful!

Thanks. Yes I want to obey the rules and certainly do not want to screw up my license and insurance. If I am required to cook "inside" the commercial kitchen then I wont have access to a smoker. Thats where my confusion comes in. I am assuming most commercial kitchens have ovens but doubt they have a smoker.

Ford 04-04-2011 06:13 PM

In MI my trailer is a co0mmercial kitchen. Just sent in my renewal fee even though I live in FL now.

In FL I need a commissary to dump waste water and get fresh if the event does not supply facilities. Otherwise I'm going to be self contained. I'm starting to work with the county HD now on this.

Bama Q 04-22-2011 06:45 AM

Screened and covered. That is the problem, Check with HD to see what they will allow you to do, Most will tell you what they expect, Most HD inspector will offer suggestion to solve your problem. Go to a event in your area and see what, see what others are doing, Every area and inspector has different views.

jbrink01 04-24-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford (Post 1600504)
In MI my trailer is a co0mmercial kitchen. Just sent in my renewal fee even though I live in FL now.

In FL I need a commissary to dump waste water and get fresh if the event does not supply facilities. Otherwise I'm going to be self contained. I'm starting to work with the county HD now on this.

I get by the commissary issue by dumping gray water at the city RV dump station, as well as filling from the city water supply. Only thing illegal would be to fill from my well. Of course I never do that......:rolleyes: