• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Opinions On This Pork Presentation STYLE Wanted

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ok first off, I know that the pork is oversauced and there are spots that need to be cleaned up. The cleanup was addressed before turn in.

What you see before you is two whole money muscles cut into 3 large chunks each.

I'd like to hear your thoughts of potential pros and cons here. Again, not asking for a score on this particular idea. Just some thoughts from judges or anyone else on the concept.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG950918.jpg
    IMG950918.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 588
In theory, if the pork is cooked well, then it should be fine.

In practice, I think it looks a little sloppy. Also, I believe there will be some judges that will not like that there is just the 6 slices, some will feel they did not get the right meat.

Just my 2cents. Cut too thick, tighten up your green, clean up the box. Really good looking color though.

This particular presentation looks heavy in that the judge will have to pick up a large chunk of meat and bite a piece off, cave man style as I don't believe it will all go in at once. He'll also have a large amount of sauce to clean off his hands, face, lips and facial hair ( if he has any).

Sliced, pulled and chunks tend to be the better choice. It gives the judge a choice, even though he will take all three. In theory, he will taste the one that is his preference and cooler the rest. That is why most will insure that there is enough of all three for every judge to get a sample. Good looking money muscle by the way, wish I could find that size on my butts.

Opionions are like AHs, everyone has one and this is just mine.

that would be a good money muscle presentation .too big of slices box looks empty . you have been on this forum long enough to know that box will not work in comp

It is not excellent for me.

Like the color and shine but not the size.

And never...ever...put just 6 pieces in a box (except for those dang thighs where you can't get 7 to look just right) :mrgreen:

way to thick, not arranged well, needs to be sliced more evenly and arranged tighter.

6, maybe 7 in appearance.

so are you guys saying $M only in a box is not a good idea? Do you think Judges would score down if there was no pulled or chunks? i think the box looks good, very full, maybe tighten the muscle back up so the green isnt peeking through.
:confused:

so are you guys saying $M only in a box is not a good idea?

ive put 2 sliced $M in a box, sliced into medallions, which yielded 10 nice slices, cut clean, even and assembled nicely, and did very well. It wasnt by choice..the rest of the butt really sucked.

ive seen boxes with ONLY pulled $M also.. scored as a pile of pulled pork..

I think for now that it's just "too out of the norm" for most judges to score well in appearance but you might hit a contest table that likes the out of the norm/artistic aspects of it. I would say you need to slice smaller also as there's no rule against putting more than 6 slices. IMO & even though it's not part of the score, parsely might be a better green to go with than the lettuce you have to frame it.

so are you guys saying $M only in a box is not a good idea? Do you think Judges would score down if there was no pulled or chunks? i think the box looks good, very full, maybe tighten the muscle back up so the green isnt peeking through.
No.

I always score "what is presented". Last year I can think of a couple times where just mm was in the box. Both times it scored low on appearance because it was just one mm that didn't fill the box and although it was sliced it looked like a turd just sitting there (sorry...but that what we called it after scoring) Now for taste it was EXCELLENT.

I score whats in the box ...not what could have been in the box. If the pieces tastes good and are moist thats all that should matter but.... from an appearance standpoint the box just doesnt look as good to me with 6 large pieces laying in it vs some nice fanned out slices

I say the hell with "the norm"!

If you've got the guts, send it into the judging tent and see how it's received. Innovation always involves risk. Do you think Myron worried about conforming to "the norm" when he invented cupcake chicken? As a judge I love to see an entry that presses the envelope. As a cook I have more respect for the guy that writes his own story rather than reading from somebody else's script.

I like the color, I think it looks very moist, tender and appetizing and that I would like to eat it. Presentation wise, it could be neatened up a little, not look so thrown in there, I would probably give it a 7 or 8 in appearance......Remember judges, judge as presented/what's in the box and not what you expect/want to see in the box!!!

+1 above. I didnt think it was necessarily oversauced; looked pretty good to me. It didnt, however, set my "OH MY GOSH I JUST HAVE TO EAT THAT RIGHT NOW" lights aglow. I probably would've given it an 8... I dont know what would've gotten the 9. Perhaps more in the box would've helped. I'm probably a little pre-disposed personally to not care for sliced, so perhaps mixing in some pulled in there would've helped; I dont know. I just know it didnt scream "HIT ME" like some others do; not to me personally. I like the novel/different approach though. It in itself didnt say "DONT EAT ME".

Curious, how did tenderness score for 'ya?

I'm not sure that $M does everyone the favors they think it does. For some it's very helpful, but for others there's the "turd" factor, and frankly for those I've not been very kind on appearance score, because frankly I dont find turds appetizing. Then often they're just downright mushy; frankly would've probably been better as part of the pulled meat presented if used at all...

I think the meat looks tasty. But, I always like seeing (and tasting) some pulled in addition to the $M.

Back