The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Best trailer smokers (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144110)

Smoke House Moe 09-16-2012 09:30 PM

Best trailer smokers

Hey folks.

I have been getting ready to start catering here in MN. Also looking to do some vending at fairs and such. What are some of the better trailer smokers that could accommodate a starter like myself?

Been looking at the Jambo's, Pitmaker's, Klose, Holstein.

jbrink01 09-16-2012 09:46 PM

If you want to cater, look at FEC500's, Ole Hickory or Southern Pride. If your intent to use charcoal look at the 32 Rebel. I cater, and own 2 FEC500's.

neuyawk 09-17-2012 10:39 AM

Never heard of Rebel. Why not a backwoods if that's the style one would be looking at?

Jambo's aren't built for catering. I just saw a new rotissurie pit by Klose by a local pitmaster vending at a fair and it was SWEET.

Shipping to MN, Meadowcreek makes great catering smokers and would probably be cheaper for you on same quality than shipping from Texas

jbrink01 09-17-2012 02:29 PM

Rebel is similar to a Stumps. Nothing like a Backwoods. Cookshack, Ole Hickory and Southern Pride are THE catering and restaurant pits.

Smoke House Moe 09-17-2012 03:42 PM

Thanks guys. Very helpful.
Do you both cater? Any wise words for a newb?

jbrink01 09-17-2012 03:48 PM

We cater. Not huge. Depending on the week, we go through 500 - 1000 pounds of meat a week.

INmitch 09-17-2012 03:49 PM

You might want to take a look at a Southern Yankee. My buddy (and good friend) Shane has a new shop in Ft Wayne IN making them. They've made 6 or 7 in the last couple months and are looking really nice. Hopefully they will have my new one made in the next month. I compete on a 6 footer. Downsizing to a 2' with 12 racks spinnin for comps.:thumb:

neuyawk 09-17-2012 04:26 PM

Southern Yankees are SWEET but pretty pricey. Bigmista caters with Spicewine if that helps.

Cast Iron Chef 09-17-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrink01 (Post 2215142)
Rebel is similar to a Stumps. Nothing like a Backwoods. Cookshack, Ole Hickory and Southern Pride are THE catering and restaurant pits.

Did you pick the FEC because they are NSF? Some day I want to get something bigger for comps like a Backwoods or FEC. I would also like to do some catering so I was thinking best to go NSF. What have you found?

big brother smoke 09-17-2012 06:11 PM

NSF is not mandatory for most states whilst catering (check your local regs). Brick and mortar and serving to the public, yes, you will need NSF to be legit.

Pyle's BBQ 09-17-2012 11:25 PM

You may want to look at an insulated smoker if you are in MN. Are you going to work through the winter?

pawlen 09-18-2012 12:03 AM

This is a cool sight but my phone is smarter than I am.I don't know if anything is going out or if anything is comung in.So I'm going to cut out if anyone is out there.Smokem if u gotem!

42BBQ 09-18-2012 01:28 AM

Meadowcreek has a dealer just across the MN border in Wisconsin. You can get smokers with insulated fire boxes. http://www.stcroixbarbecue.com/

kurtsara 09-18-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlen (Post 2215944)
This is a cool sight but my phone is smarter than I am.I don't know if anything is going out or if anything is comung in.So I'm going to cut out if anyone is out there.Smokem if u gotem!

did I miss part of the original post, what are you talking about?

jbrink01 09-18-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cast Iron Chef (Post 2215363)
Did you pick the FEC because they are NSF? Some day I want to get something bigger for comps like a Backwoods or FEC. I would also like to do some catering so I was thinking best to go NSF. What have you found?

NSF isn't required, but it makes it easier if you have a picky HD inspector. The feature that sold our HD person was the "cook and hold". They like to see that you have a "temp controlled warming cabinet", which the FEC's with IQ4's are after they are done cooking.