The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tru-Value has Cowboy Sale all of May (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155215)

Bluesman 03-03-2013 09:48 AM

Tru-Value has Cowboy Sale all of May

I stopped at my Tru Value store yesterday and the lady mentioned that Cowboy Lump will be on sale the entire month of May. It will be $8.98 for a 20# bag. Right now I'm paying $6.98 for and 8.8# bag. She asked me if I was interested.......:twitch: I told here yeah I'll take a pallet full.............:clap2: You might want to check your area. They have a really thick book that lists all the sales in the coming months. This is a BBQ Public Service announcement.

stl-rich 03-03-2013 10:38 AM

Ya think Cowboy is trying to lose their terrible reputation?

Bluesman 03-03-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stl-rich (Post 2391574)
Ya think Cowboy is trying to lose their terrible reputation?

Not sure, but the last two bags I bought we very good. So, I'll test run on this and if all is good I'm stocking up at that price.

MisterChrister 05-03-2013 07:02 AM

Bump to top, this sale is on but ONLY RUNS THRU 5/12 or until they run out, no rainchecks. If you haven't tried the new and improved cowboy, you're missing out. This stuff ain't bad even at regular price and this is ahelluva deal. It's time for you cheapskate Kingsford Bluebaggers to make the leap to lump. Stock up farkers! I bought a half skid yesterday and am going back tomorrow!

WineMaster 05-03-2013 07:08 AM

You can have mine!

ButtBurner 05-03-2013 07:16 AM

hmmm

may have to try it

I am becoming a bit of a lump slut

youngbloodbbqenthusiast 05-03-2013 07:51 AM

Wait a minute.....are you saying that it is now ok to buy Cowboy lump? cause just a little while ago people were cursing it. if it is as improved as you say I may have to cop a bag, two, or three for myself.

only problem is that the nearest tru value is across the river....think Lowes or Home Depot will price match?

oifmarine2003 05-03-2013 08:04 AM

Thanks for the tip....

NickTheGreat 05-03-2013 08:42 AM

I bougth a bag of Cowboy last March when I first got my WSM and loved it. Then I read about how everyone hated Cowboy so I tried others. I think I may go back to my first love :wink:

MisterChrister 05-03-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngbloodbbqenthusiast (Post 2468623)
Wait a minute.....are you saying that it is now ok to buy Cowboy lump? cause just a little while ago people were cursing it. if it is as improved as you say I may have to cop a bag, two, or three for myself.

only problem is that the nearest tru value is across the river....think Lowes or Home Depot will price match?

Yes. Historically, Cowboy Lump has been literally the lumps of chit that cowboys and their horses left behind when they broke camp. Over the last year-ish, their quality control has been drastically better. That's coming from a lump snob. Give them another chance, you won't be disappointed, especially at $8.99/bag.

Yes, the big box store will usually price match if you bring in an advertised price. Usually a printout from the website will suffice if you don't have the flyer. I've had mixed results showing the price to staff on my android screen.

rcbaughn 05-03-2013 10:39 AM

Maybe I got a bad bag from an old stock, but the last one I got had pieces about half as big as a football in it, about 7 inches in diameter. Couldn't use a third of the bag from all the big pieces and there was a good bit of dust in there. Tried to break them up by throwing them on the concrete but that didn't work, so I ended up chunking it.

Maybe I need to take them up on that deal and give them a new shot, but Royal Oak has been my go-to for lump since that bag of Cowboy.

Big George's BBQ 05-03-2013 11:39 AM

Will never buy that again

1FUNVET 05-03-2013 12:43 PM

It would have to be free for me to try and then i would have my doubts. I tried it before and that chit was awful.

cbpeck 05-03-2013 01:06 PM

I'm one of those guys who used to be pretty pleased with Cowboy. I used it from time to time because it had a nice, mild flavor and I liked how hot it got. Then one time I found pieces of foreign matter (kiln insulation I think) in a bag, so I quit buying it. If people are saying the product has improved then I will give them another shot.

One if my pet peeves is when someone denounces a product or states that it is "awful" without specifying why they were dissatisfied. So to those who continue to dislike cowboy, why?

NickTheGreat 05-03-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcbaughn (Post 2468802)
Maybe I got a bad bag from an old stock, but the last one I got had pieces about half as big as a football in it, about 7 inches in diameter. Couldn't use a third of the bag from all the big pieces and there was a good bit of dust in there. Tried to break them up by throwing them on the concrete but that didn't work, so I ended up chunking it.

Maybe I need to take them up on that deal and give them a new shot, but Royal Oak has been my go-to for lump since that bag of Cowboy.

That's funny, because my bags of Royal Oak have looked like corn flakes, with all the chips and dust. Not even big enough to be Kellogg's, more like store brand :wink: