• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Granton Edge or Serrated Edge?

Demosthenes

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've only used a Granton Edge when slicing brisket. I've seen where some use a Serrated Edge when slicing brisket. Seems that the Serrated Edge would have the propensity to 'tear' the meat during the initial cut. I know I have had that problem 'a few times' with my Granton Edge, if I have 'overcooked'/held in foil too long. Does it boil down to preference between the two, or does one perform better than the other?

I prefer Granton edge when slicing meat with bark as in my experience the serrated edge tends to grab and tear the bark.

Yep...exactly. I used an electric knife (which was serrated) in a few competitions, and never had any problems with the bark tearing.....but now we're talking 'man vs machine'. For some reason I prefer to do the slicing myself, instead of the electric knife doing the slicing. Will stay with my 12" Granton Edge.:biggrin1:

Not an either or to me, since they do different things.
For me, serrated edge helps bite through the bark when it's hard, while granton edge helps the meat not stick to the blade.

When I do use a serrated blade, it's a bread knife with a scalloped edge, so doesn't tear.

Following... looking for a good knife the last couple days.

img31o.jpg

will slice through anything, including well formed bark.

Wusthof Super Slicer

I don't like serrated because they're a PITA to sharpen - go to something like a 14" serrated knife and really can't imagine having to sharpen that thing.

I'll stick to my plain edge slicer just for that. My slicer has granton a Granton edge but I can't say I can tell any difference in cutting or food sticking to the blade between my knives with and without the dimples.

I use Granton but have been thinking about trying out Electric at some point or another

I don't like serrated because they're a PITA to sharpen - go to something like a 14" serrated knife and really can't imagine having to sharpen that thing.

I'll stick to my plain edge slicer just for that. My slicer has granton a Granton edge but I can't say I can tell any difference in cutting or food sticking to the blade between my knives with and without the dimples.

Had the one I listed above for 2 years and haven't had to sharpen it yet. I'll stick with it. I haven't had a Granton edge that comes close to its performance. When it gets dull, I'll just get another. Mainly because the effort to sharpen would not be worth it to me. But, that is my preference.

Somewhat on topic, I have a 14" Granton edge and sometimes I think it is too big. Cue all the "she said" jokes but I have to clear out some real estate to wield that thing.

Somewhat on topic, I have a 14" Granton edge and sometimes I think it is too big. Cue all the "she said" jokes but I have to clear out some real estate to wield that thing.

Yeah....I know the feelin'. I've learn to 'look both ways' before I take mine out. :icon_smile_tongue:

Finally decided on this Victorinox 12" granton. I got a couple briskets to cook this weekend so I’m hoping it will be here on time. The wooden handle sold me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CFDC...t=&hvlocphy=9011664&hvtargid=pla-351460502836

Beautiful. I tend to go for the plastic handles for purely practical reasons (grip, mostly), but the wood ones are very resistant to moisture and grease, and look a million times better.

I like Victorinox knives because they hold a good edge, and tend to be thinner and have a shallower V to the leading edge. Easy to keep sharp and they cut cleaner. And they are great value, especially here in Switzerland.

I also use their Chef knife, small paring knife, and bread knife at home, they do the jobbed don't have to be babied. I actually put the serrated bread knives on a steel, though you are not supposed to. Works for me.

Finally decided on this Victorinox 12" granton. I got a couple briskets to cook this weekend so I’m hoping it will be here on time. The wooden handle sold me.

Well damn. That puts my 14” ICEL knife to shame. I thought I was going all out on a $40 knife.

I was struggling with the same question on the granton. Do you guys feel the 14" is too big? Would a 12" be a enough for mostly brisket?

Back