Bánh mì

pmad

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Marinated thin sliced carrots, red cabbage, broccoli, and cucumber in sugar, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and fish sauce.
Grilled up a package of Trade Joe Bool Kogi (bulgogi)
Made a spread of mayo, sour cream and sriracha.
Toasted crispy bread and added layers:
Meat
Bean sprouts
Fresh basil
Fresh mint
Fresh cilantro
Slaw mixture
Sriracha mixture

null_zps7fa7c9c8.jpg

Lovely stuff!
Mouths watering!
I once made it with a layer of pâté on the toasted roll under the pork, it was bloody great!

We have several Vietmamese restaurants that serve sammies similar to that, but none have any that have that much meat and look soooo good.:thumb:

Seattle has many excellent banh mi restaurants. To me, you have to start with a mix of slivered carrots and daikon radish pickled in sugar and salt (do chua). Then, you need a small French roll. Slice it, toast it (if you like) then add mayonnaise, cilantro, thinly sliced cucumber, thinly sliced jalapeno peppers, some kind of meat, and (optionally) Maggi sauce.

Yum, yum.

For those who don't know, banh mi are Vietnamese sandwiches. Why would the Vietnamese be serving Parisian-style sandwiches? Don't forget Vietnam was once a French colony ..

seattlepitboss

I love Banh Mi. Here in Flushing, NY, where I reside part of the time, there is a local restaurant that serves Banh Mi with pickled carrot and daikon radish, cilantro, jalapeno peppers, mayonnaise on one side of the French baguette and liver pate on the the other side, Vietnamese pork roll, and Vietnamese ham.

One of the secrets of great Banh Mi is a good baguette. When toasted it should be crusty on the outside, and firm on the inside - but it shouldn't fall apart too easily.

I could make them myself (and have) - but for $6 you can't go wrong. It's a great summer meal as the jalapenos make you sweat. Great with salty plum soda, and, of course, beer....

Best,

Steve

You still have a couple of hours to enter your dish in the "Thai One On" Throwdown. You've done all the work why not throw your hat in the ring.

"THAI ONE ON!

Food inspired by that little peninsula in SE Asia-Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian or some reasonable facsimile thereof!"

"THAI ONE ON!

Food inspired by that little peninsula in SE Asia-Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian or some reasonable facsimile thereof!"

That will teach me from believing the title and not reading the fine print!:oops:

I stand corrected!

I could make them myself (and have) - but for $6 you can't go wrong.

We have a large Vietnamese community in Nashville and have many fine Vietnamese restaurants. One of the best has a barbecued pork bahn mi for -- drum roll -- $2.75! and it's in pharkin credible.

On a lighter note I went to school in Bay Shore and went all through school with a girl named Donna L'hommedieu. Unusual name. Any relation?

I love Banh Mi. Here in Flushing, NY, where I reside part of the time, there is a local restaurant that serves Banh Mi with pickled carrot and daikon radish, cilantro, jalapeno peppers, mayonnaise on one side of the French baguette and liver pate on the the other side, Vietnamese pork roll, and Vietnamese ham.

One of the secrets of great Banh Mi is a good baguette. When toasted it should be crusty on the outside, and firm on the inside - but it shouldn't fall apart too easily.

I could make them myself (and have) - but for $6 you can't go wrong. It's a great summer meal as the jalapenos make you sweat. Great with salty plum soda, and, of course, beer....

Best,

Steve

$6 for a bahn mi sandwich? My favorite deli has them for $3 and if you buy 5 you get one free. They are also a bakery that bakes their own bread and they are open 24/7.

If they weren't 12 miles from my house I would eat there every day.

the best place around here that has them sells them for between $2.75 and $4.25. the most expensive is the one i get. lemongrass pork and homemade sausage. i've tried unsuccessfully to duplicate the sausage or even get in the ballpark, but to no avail. and i can't get her to come off her spice list for it.

How can such a great sandwich be so cheap? Why look a gift horse in the mouth?

Back