The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   BBQ Brethren Team Mentoring (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Looking for a team in NE Wisconsin (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156406)

Parruthead 03-17-2013 03:37 PM

Looking for a team in NE Wisconsin

Anybody need a hand ? Or wouldn't mind showing a guy the ropes?

Stoke&Smoke 03-19-2013 04:42 PM

There are quite alot of teams in your neck of the woods. You'll find someone I'm sure. Also, check events like poor que, and Masters in May in your corner of the state, there should be lots there also! Good luck

Stoke&Smoke 03-26-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parruthead (Post 2411426)
Anybody need a hand ? Or wouldn't mind showing a guy the ropes?

I'm surprised nobody has answered up. There is a contest in Fremont the first weekend in May, a few hours south, but sure folks would be willing to talk with you, we certainly would. Also, have a look at poor que....also south of you but well worth the trip, Tony and Anita are great folks!

billm 03-28-2013 05:25 AM

sent you a pm..not looking for another cook or anything but you are more than welcome to come hang out a bit in Freemont.
just a warning.. this is how Cmohr74 got started in this expensive hobby :)

Hogtie N' Ride 03-31-2013 07:03 AM

The best way to get started is coming Friday evening to a few comps. Walk around and introduce yourself to a number of the teams. You may find you click well with one and they will set something up with you.

Talking with a number of the teams will give you a variety of ideas that you can meld into the great BBQ Team that you will become. What drew us into BBQ was the diversity and high percentage of just good people and their willingness to share ideas.

Coming Saturday, the cooks are in crunch time, it is a good idea to come and observe, but respect that they are there competing and will be focused on getting entries prepared, that is why Friday night is a good time to talk.

Go to www.KCBS.us and you can sort events by state. There are a number of events in WI.

Parruthead 03-31-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogtie N' Ride (Post 2429906)
The best way to get started is coming Friday evening to a few comps. Walk around and introduce yourself to a number of the teams. You may find you click well with one and they will set something up with you.

Talking with a number of the teams will give you a variety of ideas that you can meld into the great BBQ Team that you will become. What drew us into BBQ was the diversity and high percentage of just good people and their willingness to share ideas.

Coming Saturday, the cooks are in crunch time, it is a good idea to come and observe, but respect that they are there competing and will be focused on getting entries prepared, that is why Friday night is a good time to talk.

Go to www.KCBS.us and you can sort events by state. There are a number of events in WI.

Understood.. I actually have set something up with Bill. I just renewed my KCBS creds today.

Also spent awhile surfing for the WI Comp section. I may try poor-que in june and may vend at Deaths Door but, I have to see how things are going this summer. I'd love to try more comps but $200.00 entry fee's scare me.

billm 04-02-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parruthead (Post 2430687)
Understood.. I actually have set something up with Bill. I just renewed my KCBS creds today.

Also spent awhile surfing for the WI Comp section. I may try poor-que in june and may vend at Deaths Door but, I have to see how things are going this summer. I'd love to try more comps but $200.00 entry fee's scare me.

hook up with a couple other guys and share the expense ..you can control contest costs but the amount of meat you cook..etc

Harbormaster 04-02-2013 10:35 AM

You would be welcome to hang with the Wyocena Yacht Club Q Crew at Poor Que if you are so inclined.

Parruthead 04-03-2013 06:04 PM

Harbormaster!

I just may take you up on that offer.. Then again. I may just try and get my feet wet at that comp being its one i can actually afford!

Harbormaster 04-03-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parruthead (Post 2434437)
Harbormaster!

I just may take you up on that offer.. Then again. I may just try and get my feet wet at that comp being its one i can actually afford!

If you decide to enter, ask Anita if you can set up next to us. We love helping out new teams. Did it last year and it was great!

Twelvegaugepump 04-03-2013 06:38 PM

My plan is to enter next year as my first at PoorQue. Currently building a new pit. Parrut and Harbor, I may swing by and say hi at PoorQue this year as a spectator. Good luck to the two of you!

Parruthead 04-03-2013 08:21 PM

Does that mean you'll stay up late and keep my pit running while I get my beauty sleep?

Harbormaster 04-03-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parruthead (Post 2434601)
Does that mean you'll stay up late and keep my pit running while I get my beauty sleep?

Um, you cook on WSMs, right? They pretty much run all night if you know how to use them!:becky:

Parruthead 04-04-2013 02:35 PM

No, Didn't you hear HM? I stepped up to the Big Leagues and bought a Lang 84" Widebody with a buddy!

I'm selling some of my WSM Collection off. Though I'm going to keep 2 of them one 18" and one 22"

Harbormaster 04-06-2013 05:53 PM

You realize that I have right of first refusal on all used WSMs sold in Wisconsin, right?