55 gallon drum lid

BBQfirefighter148

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
guys i got a 55 gallon drum for free from a buddy of mine, and want to build a UDS. Not sure how to or the best way to take the lid off this drum. The pic is not the drum that i have but it is similiar(used a internet pic that was close to the one i have, will upload pics of my drum tonight).

Any help would be great.

Attachments

• Closed-top_Drum_-_55-gallon_D235697F-9BDC-2948-6D2E6A22100CD065.jpg
    Closed-top_Drum_-_55-gallon_D235697F-9BDC-2948-6D2E6A22100CD065.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 103
gallery_408_11_1181.jpg

All you need is a Cold chisel and a Hammer and a drill. Drill 1 hole put the corner of the chisel in the hole and hold the chisel at a 45 deg angle on the inside of the lip and against it it slightly canted toward the outside use small sharp blows so have a continuous cut. It takes about 5 min to remove it. If you take your time you will have a smooth clean cut. Looking at the above picture is the improper way to do this. The striking edge should be 3 " from the surface and in the Grove not a 1/2" away.

For the neatest way and if you want to re use it, take a disc grinder and grind the outer lip off where it is crimped to the drum body. Hold the grinder parallel to the ground or a little toward the floor so you are grinding the outer part off. YOu can pop the lid off and it will go right back on, I use one for my charcoal retort

Then run the disc grinder around the edges to deburr them because they will be sharp

There are diagrams here of what I am talking about if you do a search you will find them

A chisel works too, it depends on if you want to re - use the lid or not.

All you need is a Cold chisel and a Hammer and a drill. Drill 1 hole put the corner of the chisel in the hole and hold the chisel at a 45 deg angle on the inside of the lip and against it it slightly canted toward the outside use small sharp blows so have a continuous cut. It takes about 5 min to remove it. If you take your time you will have a smooth clean cut. Looking at the above picture is the improper way to do this. The striking edge should be 3 " from the surface and in the Grove not a 1/2" away.

If I chisel or cut it out what could I use/do for a lid?

Back