The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Video: Walk-Around look at the Kamado Joe (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148168)

JMSetzler 11-21-2012 10:47 AM

Video: Walk-Around look at the Kamado Joe

Here's a video walk-around look at the Kamado Joe... it appears to be very well built and I'm stoked about cooking on it!

Jaskew82 11-21-2012 01:09 PM

Great video. My only recommendation would be to flip that pizza stone over when using it. The branding on the stone looks great but you want a smooth surface for the dough.

Brauma 11-21-2012 01:29 PM

How does the price compare to a BGE? I like the stainless grate but other than that, it looks just like a red Big Green Egg.

I've got a Woo Ring for my Large BGE. Love it. It's very similar to the accessory you demonstrated.

Haveuseen1? 11-21-2012 02:39 PM

I have the Classic Joe, which is the same size as the Large BGE. Price wise it was slightly less expensive. Quality has been great, and I have been pleased with it. I cook on it about 2-3 times a week. I use my pizza stone on the smooth side. The color was the driving factor for me, we have the red one, although I wanted the black one. My wife wanted the red one, and was completely against the green of the egg.

I cant see the video here at work that the OP posted, it is blocked here. If I had a need for one, I would buy another KJ again.

Rickthestick33 11-21-2012 07:49 PM

I picked up the Big Joe a couple of months back and I love it. Its a total beast

JMSetzler 11-21-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brauma (Post 2277557)
How does the price compare to a BGE? I like the stainless grate but other than that, it looks just like a red Big Green Egg.

I've got a Woo Ring for my Large BGE. Love it. It's very similar to the accessory you demonstrated.

The big green egg with the nest, ash tool, grill gripper, and side shelves would run about $1100 at standard pricing. The same config with the KJ is $800. Those options all come standard.

Foxfire 11-21-2012 10:31 PM

From all I've seen, the KJ is built as well or better than any other ceramic kamado, has high quality gaskets, cart, and customer service, and is competitively priced compared to other higher end options. If I could buy today it'd be a Classic Joe. Until then, I'll have to settle for watching some Man Cave Meals vids.

eggary 11-21-2012 10:46 PM

If that YOUR Kamado Joe, you will not be using the Akorn Kamado for a long time. You will love the way a Ceramic Kamado cooks. I have a Komodo Kamado as well as a Big Green Egg XL and I use my Komodo Kamado as my primary cooker.

Enjoy it.

JMSetzler 11-23-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eggary (Post 2278006)
If that YOUR Kamado Joe, you will not be using the Akorn Kamado for a long time. You will love the way a Ceramic Kamado cooks. I have a Komodo Kamado as well as a Big Green Egg XL and I use my Komodo Kamado as my primary cooker.

Enjoy it.

Luckily I still have both and will use them both for various tasks :)