The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Kids Q stories (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46981)

chambeja 08-03-2008 08:37 AM

Kids Q stories

Anybody have any good Kids Q stories. I would love to hear em. I have 2 girls who had the wonderful opportunity to compete at the Royal Kids Q. They had such a wonderful time. Needless to say they want to do it again.

Any advice?
Would love to hear it
thanks
beth

U2CANQUE 08-03-2008 08:41 AM

Will let you know after Maddison, my girlfriends son is doing the hamburger comp this year....like I said, he has his own logo professionally done, t-shirts, a smaller banner with his sponsors listed, has already cooked a lunch for the sponsors for them to help him decide on his hamburger choice, and practiced two times. It has been well worth the experience without even hitting the contest yet...

Dale P 08-03-2008 10:13 AM

My boy did the amatuer contest at Franklin Ky & won 1st place ribs. Proud of that boy. He might be entering Madison, but football is taking up all his time.

chambeja 08-03-2008 10:24 AM

Wow. They both sound wonderful. We are mere amateurs at our house. We have had both girls practicing this summer and perfecting their technique.
Keep em coming

Beth

Dale P 08-03-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chambeja (Post 702316)
Wow. They both sound wonderful. We are mere amateurs at our house. We have had both girls practicing this summer and perfecting their technique.
Keep em coming

Beth

You have the answer. Practice.

chambeja 08-03-2008 05:56 PM

Lol! Practice is certainly key. Though to be honest, I think having fun with it is just as important. They are looking forward to doing the Kids Q at New Holland Summerfest in PA. Any other kids out there in Cyber space gonna be joining them - from the Brethren?

Beth and family

Wyatt 08-03-2008 07:02 PM

My son, Wyatt (also a member) has been doing kids Q for about 1 1/2yrs. This next year he said he wants to run with the big dogs. He's tired of cooking hamburgers.

So, next year, Team Boy-B-Que will take the place of Family Tradition BBQ. At 10, (11 at first contest) he will be the youngest Pit Master in NP NE.

(Sorry, this is txschutte) I didn't realize Wyatt was logged in, and not me...:oops:

U2CANQUE 08-03-2008 07:02 PM

That has been the most fun of it all....spending time with a wide eyed, and eager pupil. He has went to a few contests, and is now so excited about getting to do one on his own. We have enjoyed just getting his grill going...coming up with creative combos, you should have seen his face when he saw the Brethren Burger, his first question, was, yes, do you think I can do that one....answer, no, they cut it back to a one pound amount of beef....but, I like the way the kid thinks.....seeing the wheels turning....I am having more fun with it than a regular practice with the smoker...still trying to figure out how to support, and still get ready for turn in time....but, not at that bridge yet....

Besides, what better way to get the next generation of Brethren going?

U2CANQUE 08-03-2008 07:03 PM

That is awesome that he is jumping up with the "big boys" that will be a hellova proud moment......

chambeja 08-04-2008 04:25 PM

How cool to hear a kid is gonna run with the big dogs. I am sure he will do great. After cutting his teeth in the Kids Q he should have the chops! I will be keeping an eye out for Team Boy B Q!

Instert a "passing the torch" quote here ... perfect for barbeque and the olympics! he he

Beth and family

beam boys bbq 08-05-2008 03:10 PM

caleb my 8 year old was doing kids q the judge was in camp and he was cooking away and he put his chezze on and closed the lid then he opened it back up to check on it and the cheeze fell off he looked at the judge and said "damm it that was not in the plan "and went to the cooler and got an nother pc and went on

that is my boy:rolleyes:

york

butt head 08-05-2008 03:14 PM

chambeja my son is doing his first kids q at new holland. going by the name of red hot fire balls.:lol:

chambeja 08-05-2008 05:33 PM

Lol. These kids have a lot of spunk. I can't wait to see how they all do at New Holland - those that will be there anyway!

Keep those stories coming

Beth and family

Big Mike 08-05-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale P (Post 702296)
My boy did the amatuer contest at Franklin Ky & won 1st place ribs. Proud of that boy. He might be entering Madison, but football is taking up all his time.

Maybe you should let him cook your ribs at Madison.:-P

CaptTable 08-06-2008 05:53 AM

Just gotta pass this Kid's Q story on:

I was running the Kid's Q in Sevierville, TN this year. Wow, that is so much fun!

Anyway, about 1/2 hour into the contest, this little one comes up to me and says, "Sir, will the judges count off if a member of the cook team goes to the playground for a little while?" I like to have lost it!!!

I told him no and I saw him run to his Mother and tell her something and the next thing I knew he was coming off with the apron and he was running to the playground about 20 yards away. Now, there were about 5 or 6 other members on the team so the cooking continued. But, after about 10 minutes, all but one (the oldest) was on the playground equipment.

They ALL came back for the "taking up of the chicken" come turn-in time!

See . . even kid cooks are paranoid about judging:-D

Phillip