The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food Handling General Discussion (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Bad Pork (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74402)

fevoice 12-16-2009 08:15 PM

Bad Pork

My wife insists that some of the ribs I've made have had a sour taste to them and she claims that happens when a pregnant pig is slaughtered.

Tonight for instance we had some left over ribs that she wouldn't eat. I tried them and they didn't taste like they should. Not awful, but not like a rib should taste after being reheated.

Anybody else hear/know about this?

landarc 12-16-2009 08:20 PM

Never heard the pregnant pig argument, but, I have heard of bad sour pork, even a butt that got worse after I smoked it.

Sledneck 12-16-2009 08:27 PM

Never heard of it either but the next time I tank a category at a comp I will be sure to use it!

CB 12-16-2009 10:10 PM

I heard a TV interview or read an article where a meat expert said there was specfic flavor differences between male and female hogs, as well as with beef.

So I'm guessing that's not so different with the concept of one being in heat or such when butchered. I bet our great grand parents could tell us!

BBQ Grail 12-17-2009 12:06 AM

I googled "pregnant pigs" I'm not even going to tell you what came up...

Where do you buy your ribs? Wally World? Are they "danish" ribs?

NotleyQue 12-17-2009 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbq grail (Post 1115715)
i googled "pregnant pigs" i'm not even going to tell you what came up...

rotflmao

fevoice 12-17-2009 05:17 AM

I ususally buy at the local Sam's Club. I think thier meat dept could use a better butcher. I've had to return a package of ribs that just stunk when I opened them and I switched to Baby Backs because their Spares were so thin and fatty.

Sledneck - all I can say is LOL!!!!!

BogsBBQ 12-17-2009 06:38 AM

This is why I only buy male pigs.

SirPorkaLot 12-17-2009 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fevoice (Post 1115747)
I ususally buy at the local Sam's Club. I think thier meat dept could use a better butcher. I've had to return a package of ribs that just stunk when I opened them and I switched to Baby Backs because their Spares were so thin and fatty.

Sledneck - all I can say is LOL!!!!!

A off smell is normal for pork in cryovac packaging. Once you rinse the meat this smell should disappear.
Which brings up another point - make sure you rinse your meat good when you take it out of the cryovac, if you take it straight out of the pack and rub it down and smoke it, that is probably where your sourness is coming from.

Pregnant pigs?? that's a first for me

chopshop 12-17-2009 07:29 AM

i eat bad pork all the time. every time i visit my local bbq restaurant

tommykendall 12-17-2009 09:54 AM

I've returned more pork to a local establishment (Smart & Final) more than I'd care to say because it just wasn't right when popping the cryovac. I'd rather have a quick gagging episode by smelling it beforehand, than to impose any risk on my quests. Whiff mod.

Poker Smoker 12-17-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Grail (Post 1115715)
I googled "pregnant pigs" I'm not even going to tell you what came up...

Where do you buy your ribs? Wally World? Are they "danish" ribs?

Uh oh, the black suburbans are on their way to your house right now!

BRBBQ 12-24-2009 01:54 AM

I've had bad smelling pork butts, I threw them out. I've even smoked pork and got rid of it, something didn't look right or smell right. I smoked one once and around the bone the meat was gray and nasty looking, out it went.

BigBrad 12-25-2009 03:12 PM

The cryvac meat always seems to have a sour smell to it. It can be rinsed off with fresh water. I can say that boar meat really stinks. I have worked in the pork industry and know what a boar smells like. If you have ever smelled it you will know what I am talking about. It's the testosterone that makes the meat smell. If you are buying really cheap cuts you might be getting boar meat. Not really likely but possible. Most Boars are used for grinding only, but some can slip through the lines sometimes. If it makes you retch after you rinse it off, better off to throw it out.

Seasoned Greatings.

dodgeramsst2003 12-25-2009 08:05 PM

I returned a sour smelling cryovac of ribs to the butcher once. He told me that nowadays the pigs are processed so fast that they don't have a chance to "gas" and lose the smell before being wrapped. I can understand what he is talking about because its the same with deer. They stink on the inside until after they have been washed out and hanging for some time. I've since bought many cryovacs that have the off smell until I rinse them and let them sit for a few. Just my two cents. I've never heard of the pregnant pig difference, but do know many times with animals if it came from a male that hadn't been castrated it will have a very different taste due to the hormones so I guess it could be true. The pregnant females would have a different hormone level than a non pregnant one.