The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brethren Road Trips (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Calling All Texans (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277678)

yoursangoma 12-19-2019 11:06 AM

Calling All Texans

So, I'm in Carrollton on a work trip. I've heard folks on here talking about Whataburger. Is this a must hit place while in Texas?

Hotch 12-19-2019 12:25 PM

Yes! And Babe's Chicken Dinner House in Carrollton also.
:mrgreen:

yoursangoma 12-19-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotch (Post 4254780)
Yes! And Babe's Chicken Dinner House in Carrollton also.
:mrgreen:

My boss had mentioned Babe's Chicken, I'm going to have to push that one more. And I'll see if I can get him to go to Whataburger.

We did have a lunch catered by Spring Creek BBQ today. The brisket and sides were disappointing. I'm not sure they put any rub on the brisket. The chicken thigh was decent. Now I have to see if I can get him to take me to Hard 8 still, since we had BBQ today.

keeperofsecrets 12-19-2019 01:34 PM

And Wienerschnitzel

LYU370 12-19-2019 06:33 PM

Sorry Texas folks, have had Whataburger a few times while down there. Mostly in the Houston area. Not impressed.

Maybe now that a Chicago company has purchased them it'll be better... :bolt:

cowgirl 12-19-2019 06:48 PM

Two things I like about Texas. Bucc-ee's and Whataburger's spicy ketchup. :grin:

cowgirl 12-19-2019 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LYU370 (Post 4254842)
Sorry Texas folks, have had Whataburger a few times while down there. Mostly in the Houston area. Not impressed.

I'm with ya Andy. There are better burgers!
Just like Allsup's burritos, you need to try one, just to know for yourself. :grin:

yoursangoma 12-19-2019 08:24 PM

Made it to Hard Eight tonight. It was pretty good. Loved the jalapeno sausage and ribs. Brisket was pretty good too.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e4c446f278.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Trumanj 12-20-2019 03:57 PM

I love whataburger but its a fast food burger. Compare it to in n out, mcdonalds, burger king or wendys etc and it blows them away. Especially since you can customize it - I always get grilled onions, grilled jalapenos and cheese.

Compare it to the gourmet burger joints (five guys, Burger IM, smash burger etc) and its just an ok burger.

Spring Creek is basically Dickies quality bbq - good for a catered free lunch but never worth paying for.

Hard eights is decent but IMO their atmosphere is better than their food. (still better than most places outside of TX but there are better options)

If you are still here and have time try and hit Pecan lodge and/or Terry Blacks (they're next to each other) or make a trek to Hutchins in Mckinney or Pather City in Ft worth.

locolobo 01-03-2020 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LYU370 (Post 4254842)

Can't see W'burger getting any better but I'll agree with the first part. They used to be great but have gone downhill in the past 20 yrs or so. Some are better than others but you can still get lots better @ locally owned establishments. Still better than mickey D's & Wendy's!

Ron_L 01-03-2020 10:23 AM

There are some In-n-Out burger places in that area.

Double-Double Animal Style with Animal Fries :thumb:

TravelingJ 01-09-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 4258953)
There are some In-n-Out burger places in that area.

Double-Double Animal Style with Animal Fries :thumb:

Agreed. I only will go to Whatamihearforburger to get the jalapeno cheddar biscuit with breakfast. I can't find anything about the burgers that is any better than Wendys.

I tried Pecan Lodge today. At least the mac and cheese was good. The brisket had a great flavor, but the amount of fat was mind blowing. And it wasn't even 'melt in your mouth' fat. It was 'I'm going to be hard and make it impossible to tear this slice' I did love the rub on it, though. Same with the pork ribs, rub was nice, but I've never had less meat on 3 ribs in my entire life. Add in the parking headache, and I shoulda grabbed In-N-Out by the hotel (I prefer my fries well done, and I skip the animal from those if I get it on the burger)