The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1st chili cooks off (brisket advice needed) (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62366)

Que-Dawg 05-25-2009 06:29 PM

1st chili cooks off (brisket advice needed)

Well my parents and wife entered me in our boat docks annual chili cook off next month. The last few years have been pretty darn good. I have been playing around with a brisket chili that everyone seems to enjoy. I think I may have a shot… BUT everything has to be cook on sight. And as we all know brisket will take some time. Has anyone done a point on high temp instead of low and slow? For high on a point at what temp and about how long before a pick goes in like butter?

Ron_L 05-25-2009 06:45 PM

How much time do you have? Even at 350 or so a point may take three or four hours. You may be better off going with beef or pork (or both!) and cube them fairly small. Also, we tasted a chili this weekend that had chorizo in it. It was very good.

bbqfans 05-25-2009 07:45 PM

Quedog ;}-

I would say that it will take longer to do it in one piece, as usual;see where I'm going?:!:

Take the flat of a Brisky and chop it up small like,place it on one of those grill trays with the holes all over it,then smoke it for an hour or so...a little heavy on the smoke(now that's not charcoal or brickettes,use wood; or at least lump).Doesn't matter if it's done,you got the flavour,so just continue as you would with any other chili.8)

Good luck and let me know if it works.I have not tried it as I just thought of it on reading your post.:lol: But it should go fine.Remember,practice,practice,practice:rolleyes:

bbqfans aka Old School BBQ
HAPPY SMOKES:)-

thirdeye 05-25-2009 08:11 PM

Here is how I do chuck for stews and pot pies and such. It might work for brisket. Something else to consider is grinding the brisket coarse and doing it in a pan in your cooker. Mrs ~t~ developed this method of seasoning the pork for her green chili while it's raw, then baking it without stirring it. It gives the meat a great flavor and eliminates a couple of spice dumps during the cook.

Que-Dawg 05-25-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 933407)
How much time do you have? Even at 350 or so a point may take three or four hours. You may be better off going with beef or pork (or both!) and cube them fairly small. Also, we tasted a chili this weekend that had chorizo in it. It was very good.

Still trying to find out. But with my luck not enough time.

Que-Dawg 05-25-2009 09:17 PM

Bbqfans and thirdeye I think you all are on it. I will try this this week sometime.

Chipper 05-26-2009 06:00 AM

I feel the key to a good chili is the spices. Make sure you you use the freshest stuff you can find.

Munkee's Pit 05-26-2009 06:40 AM

Find a meat locker that will sell a pre-smoked brisket. Or, smoke one yourself and cryovac it so it looks like you bought it that way. I don't see it any different than teams starting with canned chili and adding to it. You are still making the end product on-site. For what it is worth, the MOFO Brisket Chili recipe in the recipe section has won once and placed second twice for me. Just go light on the chili powder.