The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   All Weber Cold Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169897)

Chef Jim 08-30-2013 03:46 PM

All Weber Cold Smoker

I've been kickin around the idea of a cold smoker for a long time. I just thought I could get more smoke into something.

That something would be fish or sausage.

I have a 22.5 WSM and a little Smokin Joe. Since I added the Pimp kit to the WSM I have an extra door.

I took the original door and cut out a hole for a 4 inch duct fitting, then ripped the vent off the top of the little Joey and cut a hole in that too.

Sealed with red auto heat resistant caulk, added a 4inch dryer vent hose and clamped everything together.

Here is what it looks like.

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/a...old-Smoker.jpg

Sharon wanted me to smoke a chicken last night so I figured I could do that on the Mini WSM and also start up the new guy too.

I had a fresh frozen (by me) piece of Salmon so I thawed that and cranked everything up.

My theory on the Cold unit was to use a Sam's Smoker Pro on top of the coals. That is just a smoker box that you use wet chips.

I fired them both up and used Hickory chips and chunks, for the mini.

Here are both of them cookin up a storm.

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/a...Two-Smokin.jpg

The smoke was really pumping out of both and the pron does not show it well.

Regardless, the mini ran about 240 and the SJ/WSM ran about 140-155.

Chicken was out in three and I left the salmon on until I had an internal of 127. Both were perfect.

I tried the salmon against a piece that I had smoked a while back.
WHAT A DIFFERENCE.:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

I like a lot of wood flavor, more than most people, except Sharon. This is the way I will be doing fish from now on.

bluetang 08-30-2013 03:50 PM

That's slick as owl chit Jim:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:. Good to see ya round.

Gore 08-30-2013 04:13 PM

Oh that is sweet! This has been on my list of things to do, but now I think it's jumped to the top. Jim, you're an inspiration. Give Sharon and the kids a kiss from me.

Ron_L 08-30-2013 04:20 PM

Very nice, Jim! I saw pics (on here I think) of someone using a Smokey Joe as a smoke generator for cold smoking, but your setup looks very professional!

samfsu 08-30-2013 04:27 PM

Very nice. any photos of the finished fish?

el_matt 08-30-2013 04:43 PM

Great idea!!

Matt

dwfisk 08-30-2013 05:41 PM

Damn that is jam up! I bet that will do killer fish, might have to copy it and go cast net some mullet once the Gulf cools down a little.

Happy Hapgood 08-30-2013 05:46 PM

Very Cool Sir! Thanks for posting!

Titch 08-30-2013 05:47 PM

Looks like a great unit you made, Fishy Picture?

Fwismoker 08-30-2013 05:49 PM

As much as i love the enginuity ...and i do! lol Very cool build.

Get a Amazen tube smoker or Amazen pellet smoker to use for a cold smoke generator and keep the Joe for a WSM mini.

Chef Jim 08-30-2013 06:26 PM

Thanks for the kudos. Gore I now have dog hair in my mouth. Lucky I kissed Sharon first.

As for pics of the fish, I don't think a picture would have done it justice, and I wanted to get at the Chicken.

FYI you can buy a WSM door for cheap and SJ's area dime a dozen. Mine was a spare cause Sharon gave me a SJ Gold for xmas.
Cost was minimum.

stl-rich 08-30-2013 06:54 PM

Where can I buy a WSM door for cheap?

Chef Jim 08-31-2013 10:53 AM

I got mine from Weber. My idea of cheap and your idea of cheap might not be the same.

I had an old SJ and some of the parts handy, so I did not spend much for the whole setup.

Fwismoker suggested the A-Maze-N setup which appears to be an option if you do not want to invest the time. But I was going for true cold smoke, just on a much smaller scale. There is no fire in the WSM at all which in turn gives you a much lower temp.

As stated I was running about 155. I don,t think you can do that with the heat right below the fish.

With my setup you can control the temp of the smoke in two ways.

One, put ice water in the water pan.

Two, the vent hose will expand in length forcing the smoke to travel a longer distance. That allows the smoke to cool even more.

samfsu 08-31-2013 08:34 PM

Did you make nova style smoked salmon? Did you cure it or just smoke it?

Chef Jim 09-01-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samfsu (Post 2608852)
Did you make nova style smoked salmon? Did you cure it or just smoke it?

Not sure of what Nova style is. No cure, just seasoned with my favorite stuff. That being salt an pepper just before I put it on the smoke.

This was the first time I have cold smoked so I wanted to start simple, and will work up from there.

However, the salmon was awesome!

I am looking into starting an Aquaponic garden which would have Talipia for a protine source,