Dustin' up some 3-2-1 Ribs

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ribs.jpg

I just put on three racks of St. Louis cut pork spares to try out the 3-2-1 method at 225°. I have read over and over all the different time and temp combinations and decided to give this one a try today. Most people I talk to say its a bad choice. I have seen videos on YouTube of successful cooks with this method. I have cooked a lot of ribs but never tried this method by the book. We'll see how they turn out! If they are fall off the bone tender, that won't disappoint my dinner guests at all :)

If you want complete fall off the bone tender omit the 1 from the equation for that tightens them back up if you want bite resistance put on for a half hour instead of the full hour .... Just what has worked for me

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2

Can we assume you intend to cook at 225-235 degrees?
3-2-1 came from those numbers and if you cook any higher.......ya gotta adjust.

TIM

Great looking trim work on those spares.

That last hour will decide if you want any pull at all or just fall apart ribs.

I tend to open the wraps on the "1" and take a rack off for me.....wife and son's rack gets sauced and left on for a bit longer to soften up more....usually not the whole "1".

For me I find the 3-2-1 is a bit too long. I've kept the pit temp at 225* and they just get done faster. I think next time I will try 2-2-1

By the way, they are always fall of the bone tender as a result of being over cooked. They are great though!

Most people say that 3-2-1 is too long. I'm cooking at 225 today because that's where this cook needs to be on this method. If they are fall-off-the-bone they will still be tasty :)

I would think the type of cooker would have a little to do with it also. I know my drum wont quite cook that low without starving and 3-2-1 is really too long. I will try 2-2- 1/2 next run o ribs.

I have done shorter runs at higher temps with and without foil and they all seem to work one way or another. This is just one I haven't tried yet.

JM, I see you're from NC, I have a lot of friends from there, I had one good friend also from Valdese. Sadly he passed on last year.

There are many way's to cook, as long as we get the results we desire I guess there is no wrong way.

I do my spares at 275F, 2 1/2, 1 1/2 or until done. I serve them dry. I never tried 225F.
That is a great trim on those racks!

I tried a 321 on pork spares at 237° and was too long. Thinking of doing 2.5, 2, .5 on the two slabs i have in the fridge

FinishedRibs.jpg

These came out great... they were not over tender, very moist, and had a great texture. They were just shy of fall-off-the-bone. Check my YouTube page below later when the video is up and you will be able to see the bite test. I tried to capture a still image of that but it's a bit fuzzy... looks good in the video though...

Back