Yet another brisket ??

firefighter4634

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have done some searching and reading about using foil pan for brisket. My question for those that have tried it do you cook fat side up or down? Seems like fat side up would allow the juices and drippings in the pan to get into the meat to ad flavor but it might also not make for a good bark on the meat.

I put the fat cap toward the heat source. This keeps the rub in place as well as protects the meat from drying out. I don't think that the fat dripping down actually penetrates. So in vertical smokers it's fat cap down for me.

I put the fat cap toward the heat source. This keeps the rub in place as well as protects the meat from drying out. I don't think that the fat dripping down actually penetrates. So in vertical smokers it's fat cap down for me.

I understand the putting the fat cap towards the heat source. The Backwoods smoker with its downdraft system this would mean cooking with the fat cap up. But if you put the fat cap up with the brisket in a foil pan wouldn't the rub get washed off from sitting in the juices in the bottom of the pan?

Back