The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Freezing chicken? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159835)

rentalken 04-30-2013 05:27 AM

Freezing chicken?

I cooked a lot of Cornell style chicken yesterday cooled down and vack sealed to send home with my son who lives in the city where no grilles are allowed. Sorry for rambling the question is how long can you keep it in freezer? Thanks

Mark Warren 04-30-2013 06:10 AM

Even vacuum packed foods can get freezer burn. 3 to 4 months you should have no problem, but to get longer period's of time from your frozen foods, they also need to be frozen inside a block of ice water.
For instance we take fish filets, vacuum pack them then put them inside another plastic box container, fill it and cover the vacuum packages with water then freeze. We get really good results for up to 8 to 10 months.

jmoney7269 04-30-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rentalken (Post 2465217)
my son who lives in the city where no grilles are allowed.

What??? Lol I would tuck tail and burn out of that place.

Instagator 04-30-2013 07:36 AM

Here's what I do to tackle freezer burn...

Place chicken in perfect portions bags (grocery stores carry them, they are like light plastic to cover each breast so they don't stick to each other) then rap them in foil. Prevents freezer burn. Although I haven't had any chicken frozen for over 6 months, so results may vary lol

rentalken 04-30-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmoney7269 (Post 2465244)
What??? Lol I would tuck tail and burn out of that place.

That makes two of us

NorthernMN 04-30-2013 09:27 AM

That will depend on his freezer, is it a frost free or manual defrost. If its a manual defrost I wouldnt worry about keeping it in there for a year. When we vacum seal fish or meat we just do a double seal when sealing the ends of the bags and we have not had any problem with freezer burn.

el_matt 04-30-2013 10:23 AM

What's Cornell style?

Matt

J-Rod 04-30-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt (Post 2465434)
What's Cornell style?

Matt

Chicken prepared while rockin out to Soundgarden :biggrin1:

rentalken 04-30-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

What's Cornell style?

Matt

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cornell-chicken-marinade/

MS2SB 04-30-2013 12:16 PM

To increase freezer life I like to first wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then vacuum seal. The double layer of protection helps prevent freezer burn even if the seal on your bag fails.

jmoney7269 04-30-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

What's Cornell style?

Matt

Cornell chicken, pit chicken, roadside chicken, etc got alot of names and variations and its goooood! We do it except with out the egg and ACV, use white vinegar instead, more of a Tx style mop/sop

HankB 04-30-2013 12:59 PM

I would recommend that the folks getting this use it within 4-6 months since you have no control over their freezer conditions.

We just had turkey that I froze last Thanksgiving and sealed in Food Saver bags. It was as good as the day we sealed it. I've not had any noticeable deterioration of meat in Food Saver bags though I don't think I've had anything in them for more than about 6 months.

rentalken 04-30-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HankB (Post 2465587)
I would recommend that the folks getting this use it within 4-6 months since you have no control over their freezer conditions.

We just had turkey that I froze last Thanksgiving and sealed in Food Saver bags. It was as good as the day we sealed it. I've not had any noticeable deterioration of meat in Food Saver bags though I don't think I've had anything in them for more than about 6 months.

Thank You and everyone else. :-D

Gnaws on Pigs 04-30-2013 06:13 PM

If it's vacuum-sealed and done right, you would be amazed. I found a pack of vac-sealed deer meat in the bottom of my freezer that was three years old. It was delicious with no freezer burn at all.