The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   site set-up tips to share? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88874)

watg? 07-19-2010 07:29 PM

site set-up tips to share?

I am looking for a few ideas or suggestions for an article I am writing to try and make things easier for folks with their site set-up at a contest. You know, like using PVC pipe cut to length to raise your work tables to a comfortable height, or using a bungee cord to hang a roll of paper towels from your EZ-up. I can’t forget my personal favorite; always have a new roll of TP in your supply box, spot a pot supplied material tends to be a bit thin and flimsy http://www.mabbqa.com/phpbb/images/s...on_e_smile.gif If you have any of these tips that you don’t mind sharing with others either post them here or shoot me a note. Thanks in advance for your help.

This Is How We Que It 07-19-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watg? (Post 1342127)
I am looking for a few ideas or suggestions for an article I am writing to try and make things easier for folks with their site set-up at a contest. You know, like using PVC pipe cut to length to raise your work tables to a comfortable height, or using a bungee cord to hang a roll of paper towels from your EZ-up. I can’t forget my personal favorite; always have a new roll of TP in your supply box, spot a pot supplied material tends to be a bit thin and flimsy http://www.mabbqa.com/phpbb/images/s...on_e_smile.gif If you have any of these tips that you don’t mind sharing with others either post them here or shoot me a note. Thanks in advance for your help.

The Coleman hot water dispenser for washing dishes. It will cost you a couple of bills, but the wife loves it for cleaning and if you have a happy wife then you have a happy life.

Ford 07-19-2010 08:14 PM

Take less stuff. Best advice I ever got.

Dan - 3eyzbbq 07-19-2010 08:35 PM

No matter how nice the weather is.....tie the damn canopy down!

ModelMaker 07-19-2010 08:42 PM

Get a dry eraser board to hang up, put your schedule on it and stick to it.
Do purchase a $35 atomic clock, it'll save you a DQ.....
Keep your wife from inviting the whole dam family to watch you make boxes and have snacks between catagories..
There's more, I'll be back.
Ed

Meat@Slim's 07-19-2010 08:46 PM

Duct Tape, Head Lamp, Leatherman. Dedicated gloves for specific needs.

HBMTN 07-19-2010 08:47 PM

A towel under the cutting board to keep it from walking around is one.

boogiesnap 07-19-2010 08:49 PM

the eraser board is excellent idea. put a subcategory with what ifs and the solutions also.
sometimes in the heat of the battle and fatigue of the day, a little reminder of what to do when the ttrain goes sideways might help.

i LOVE the original thought. will do. don't think you can remember every step, and every one is crucial.

tie the effn thing down. learned that one at my first kcbs this week-end...oh, and get walls.

Captain P.J. 07-19-2010 09:05 PM

I make up a schedule of events and print out a copy for everyone so we are all on the same page. No questions about what happens when for the night crew allows a little sleep... And rope lights for the canopy which has to be tied down! Everyone else has a lot of great stuff too!!

Captain P.J. 07-19-2010 09:09 PM

The Atomic clock is great! I have one that is from the Weather channel (got it from wally world) that has the temp and humidity which is great to know too!

Ron_L 07-19-2010 09:22 PM

The disposable cutting boards from Smokey Mountain Smokers are a great time saver! Also, if using hotel pans, either line them with foil or use pan liners to help with cleanup.

For those of us who sweat, a little corn starch helps the latex gloves side on no meter how sweaty your hands are.

Brauma 07-19-2010 09:45 PM

Do a complete dry run at home. Set up everything as if you were at the comp. Don't go back in the house for anything. Make a list of everything you forgot.

Music.

Gold Bond.

boogiesnap 07-19-2010 09:48 PM

more than 1 chimney.

Uncle Buds BBQ 07-19-2010 10:57 PM

More than one LIGHTER. Preferably one with fluid! Not that it has EVER happened to me.

DickQ 07-20-2010 09:33 AM

I use a plastic laundry sink with a 5 gal. bucket under it for a drain. use a Y and hook up a short hose with a garden sprayer. The sink is deep and great for soaking cutting boards and pots. The sprayer makes it nice to hose off the boards and you have it to add water to your water pans. The legs on the sink pop right off and the sink makes a nice bin to carry stuff to and from the cookoff.

Dick's BBQ