• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My first smoke, ever!

M

Mrew78

So I finally got a chance to use my new ECB. I haven't done any mods to it, but now I understand why they are needed. It did great keeping the temp at 220 until I had to refill the water pan, after that I couldn't get it above 200. But everything came out great!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 229
Looks pretty good. :thumb:

On my WSM I do not worry if the water pan runs dry before the end of the smoke. It's there to help keep temperature from getting too high and by that time the charcoal is burning down and things are pretty settled. In fact, I use the amount of water left as a measure of how well I control temperature. Too hot and it boils off. Good control and there is still some left. I'm not familiar enough with the ECB to know if the same rationale applies.

Nice looking bird pieces/parts. Just a suggestion> stop with the water put 2" of NEW unscented cheap dollar store cat litter in the pan and foil over it. Since it is made from clay it is is a better heat sink than water, your temps will stay constant, your fuel will last longer.

Thanks for the tips! The legs were perfect with wonderful smoke flavor, I had them on the top rack. The whole chicken was on the bottom rack, very juicy but very little smoke penetrated it.

So I finally got a chance to use my new ECB. I haven't done any mods to it, but now I understand why they are needed. It did great keeping the temp at 220 until I had to refill the water pan, after that I couldn't get it above 200. But everything came out great!

Looks good! Welcome to the club!

Those look nice! I started on an ECB - I really had some fun with that thing.

Nice looking bird pieces/parts. Just a suggestion> stop with the water put 2" of NEW unscented cheap dollar store cat litter in the pan and foil over it. Since it is made from clay it is is a better heat sink than water, your temps will stay constant, your fuel will last longer.

Cat crap isn't a good heat sink? Wtf.

Nice looking bird, I would make bones out of that in a heart beat.

I use sand as a buffer only because my family (House full of women) would freak at cat litter. Don't see any problem with it though

Great job on your first smoke Bet you are already thinking about what to smoke next. Lol

Back