The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Does anyone have a pit with tuning plates? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7600)

midnight 02-12-2004 06:10 PM

Does anyone have a pit with tuning plates?

I am drawing up plans for my new catering rig, including a custom made smoker, and would like to add tuning plates to it, but i don't know what they look like. Someone described them for me once but I would like to see a picture of them to see how the work/ where they are installed etc..

If anyone has some pics could you email them to me or post them here.

Thanks.

parrothead 02-12-2004 07:06 PM

Follow this link

http://www.exit201.com/cyclops/cyclops.shtml

It has detailed tuning plate pics inside the story.

Davewey 02-12-2004 07:49 PM

Nice Link!

How bout a link forum, are own smoke ring?

Davewey 02-12-2004 07:54 PM

Hay, all my posts are gone? watsup?

parrothead 02-12-2004 08:07 PM

That's what happens when someone suggests adding another forum. We delete you little by little. Consider this a warning.

We happen to have a links section Dave, and I have no clue what happened to your posts. I didn't take 'em.

Invasion of the post snatcher mod.

dxesmkr 02-12-2004 09:05 PM

The cyclops page is very helpful.I used that page as a instructional on installing plates on my pit.I didn't use the baffle to direct the heat back under the plates.I just made the firebox opening under the plates.I used 12" wide plates. First two plates 1/2" thick,third 3/8" thick,and fourth 1/4" thick.My temps are close with 1/4"between 1 and 2 plate.1/2"gap between 2 and 3. 3/4" gap between 3 and 4.That's on a 36x60 pit.It's within 15degs. across the horizontial.

Willy T.

parrothead 02-13-2004 10:53 AM

I belive that you need to get a fire going and place a bunch of thermometers all over inside and move the plates around until you get even temp. Hence the term tuning. Then you weld them in place.

dxesmkr 02-13-2004 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrothead
I belive that you need to get a fire going and place a bunch of thermometers all over inside and move the plates around until you get even temp. Hence the term tuning. Then you weld them in place.

I used 15 oven thermometers in different spots around the cooker.My plates sit on angle iron.Then welded a nut on the angle iron over the center of each plate.Finally, run a bolt through the nut to jam the plates secure.My plates have never moved.Its alot easier to clean the pit when you can take the plates out.I also have rack for charcoal under my plates that slides through firebox. So If I have do do alot of grilling I can take the plates out for direct grilling.

Willy T.

parrothead 02-13-2004 11:36 AM

Sounds fantastic.

midnight 02-13-2004 12:10 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I like the idea about welding a nut on the angle iron to run a bolt through. I hope to have my pit done by the end of april, weather permitting.
Thanks again.

Solidkick 02-13-2004 12:35 PM

Damn smart idea!

anyone checked the smoker lately? think i've had to many to remeber what time I put stuff on............Damn beer butt chicken anyway......always gets me started.......

BigAl 02-13-2004 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrothead
Follow this link

http://www.exit201.com/cyclops/cyclops.shtml

It has detailed tuning plate pics inside the story.

Now that is a project! :o

My baskets are pale compaired to his project build but his sound advice about "DON'T DO IT" applies to the basket building also. What appeared to be a simple thing has, in reality, turned out otherwise.

I have to buy steel in quanties to build 20 baskets at a time (100+ miles round trip drive).
Also had to buy:
- a welder.
- a chop saw.
- a chop saw table.
- a garage heater.
- chop saw cutting wheels.
- boxes of welding rods (5 pound boxes are $10.).
- two adjustable height roller stands.
- a shop vac.
- a welding helment.
- welding gloves.
- a welding apron.
- 4 pair of diffrent size welder vice grips
- a magnetic welders parts holder.
- a cutting blade for my table saw to cut strips from 4x8 ft sheets of expanded metal.
- masks to keep the metal dust out of my lungs (farking stuff is all over the place now).
- boxes to ship baskets in.
- 5 shop lights and 10 bulbs.
- 2 heavy gauge extension cords.
- 220 volt wiring and circuit breaker shut on/off for welder and heater.
- bags of hardware and lumber to build stuff below.

I had to design and build:
- another work table.
- a custom made top for the chop saw table.
- a jig fixture to hold the steel plate at 60 angle so chop saw could cut it.
- a jig for the custom chop saw table to cut all steel to the correct lengths.
- two jigs to position and hold the rebar for welding.
- a jig to hold the plates, end rods and inside angles and shelf tabs( this one is made of wood and after 9 baskets, it needs to be replaced, gonna build this one out of steel).
- a jig to to hold the divider tabs in place for welding.

I have built and shipped nine baskets so far and haven't made a buck yet after all those 'buys' listed above, but it "seemed" like it was gonna be easy. :shock: Plus it is a dirty job, ruined 2 pair of jeans and 4 shirts so far.

Just hope everyone thinks through their projects before starting, hope this experience helps a little:!:

brdbbq 02-13-2004 09:52 PM

Big Al

We all like you after you came out of the closet. :mrgreen:

Heath 02-13-2004 09:55 PM

If you want to keep the plates tunable weld some studs to the side just outside the reach of the plates. Put about 3 or 4 of them down the side, then cut and drill a chunk of angle iron to sit down over the studs and put some wing nuts on the studs. Tune your plates, put the plate brake on, tighten the wing nuts down really good, viola'. You now have semi permenant tuning plates.

smokeypig 02-14-2004 12:12 AM

alright, here's the neophyte coming out. 2 questions: 1) explain the what and why of tuning plates. 2)in my bd, would I be better off using the tuning plates or a heat baffle extending out from the firebox?

i have experienced the dramatic difference in temps from one end to the other in my diamond. however, I never thought about making changes to the structure. i just adapted my cooking methods to the quirks and idiosyncrasies of my cooking chamber....

silly me!