Nelsonville, OH Contest Needs Teams

D

Double D's BBQ

As it stands right now the Nelsonville, OH contest only has 10 teams for next weeks contest (Oct 19-20). In order for this contest to survive and to remain a qualifier for the American Royal and the Jack Daniel's contests, a committment from 15 additional teams are required.

The contest's organizer Joe Steele would like to try and save the contest and is only asking at this point for a commitment from 15 additional teams by the end of this week. Please consider entering this contest. All that is needed now is a show of committment by faxing in the application. The money can be paid later after and only if a 25 team contest can be held. Download the form from

www.ohiobbq.com

and fax it to Joe Steele at (740) 753-9158.

Thank you for your help in trying to save this contest.

We're not going to be there this year; my teammate is in real estate and is really pushing to get some stuff done before the holidays, and a Saturday out is tough to do right now.

One of the problems with this comp is that they won't say what the money is, and it's going to be low, yet it's still $200 to enter. They also didn't update their website until a couple of weeks ago, so teams couldn't even get the application form until very recently. There just seems to be a lot of disinterest on the part of the organizers, and I know some teams are responding to that, especially now that there is 1 and will be 2 other sanctioned comps in Ohio, that are both much easier to get to. And from what I hear, the Jack draw is coming from Dayton, anyway.

With that being said, the site is a gorgeous site, beautiful area of Ohio. I was about to contact them to see if they need judges, but it looks like that may not be the case at all.

I just looked at the site, and they don't even have the 10 teams listed that are signed up. They also only had 24 teams last year, including my last second entry.

They're going to have to promote much better than just saying that there's going to be a competition. Getting an updated form in late September is just inexcusable. Not returning any emails, also hard to take.

Curt,

While I agree with much of what you said, this is probably not the time to bash the organizer, and I've been guilty of doing this myself so I'm being a bit hypocritical.

Jim Ferguson and I have taken a lot of trying to save this contest on our shoulders the last couple of days. I think many of us, myself included, have been lulled into a sense of complacency because the contest has been notoriously laid back in their efforts to promote the contest. This will certainly have to change for the contest to survive in the future.

That being said the contest is near and dear to the heart of many people both inside and out of Ohio. I would again ask for people to put their judgment aside and rally to try and save a very nice contest. All that is being asked for right now is a written committment in the form of a faxed application submission, no money required to see if we can even pull this off. We do not want to fall short of the 25 team minimum needed to be a qualifier.

Much thanks to Jim Ferguson who is the organizer of the Dayton Contest and is willing to go the extra mile to help another contest. Jim does not see this contest as a competing contest but as more of an effort to promote Ohio BBQ and save a great contest.

Many of us have talked even about the possibility of splitting our teams if necessary to get to the magic number of 25 but we do need help from others.

Thanks to all brethren out there that might consider helping a very nice contest in need of help.

Dallas

Back in July was debating between this one and Libertyville. Called the organizer of Nelsonville and was told they were still flushing the details out and would get back to me within a couplw weeks. Gave him all my contact info and never heard a word back to this day. Made my decision pretty simple.

I'm not trying to bash them, just stating what has to be overcome, I guess. I'd be going if it weren't for my teammate being unable to compete then.

I love the area, which is enough to get me there, as I'm not drawn because of money. It's the prettiest site I've been to for any comp. Sorry if I came across as bashing... I'd rather have 3 comps than 2 in Ohio.

I'm not trying to bash them, just stating what has to be overcome, I guess. I'd be going if it weren't for my teammate being unable to compete then.

I love the area, which is enough to get me there, as I'm not drawn because of money. It's the prettiest site I've been to for any comp. Sorry if I came across as bashing... I'd rather have 3 comps than 2 in Ohio.

Never thought you were bashing Curt. My other half is a die hard Buckeye and also thinks that is one of the prettsest areas around. Also have family that live somewhat close and thought it would be a great comp to do this time of year. Just saying it's a shame that the organizers can't seem to get it together........maybe next year:wink:

Dallas, I'd also be willing to promote this a bit, as I'd prefer keeping it going. I get a few readers on my blog.

Curt,

That would be great! I'm doing this for Ohio BBQ more than for the organizers. They know they've dropped the ball on this and are looking for any help they can get.

This is a great opportunity to show how the BBQ community can rally around an event and try and save it.

If we're successful, things will definitely have to be run differently in the future. I think we can all agree on that.

Thanks for offering to help, Curt.

Dallas

We're not going to be there this year; my teammate is in real estate and is really pushing to get some stuff done before the holidays, and a Saturday out is tough to do right now.

Does Mark know that you keep using him as an excuse for not competing?:wink:

Wish we could say we're going. Its just not in the cards this year. Good luck salvaging the contest. Maybe next year.

Thanks Mike. I hope you can come down some day and we can return the hospitality you showed to us at Oinktoberfest. Until next year, my friend!

Dallas

Back