The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Rib? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58199)

Brian in So Cal 03-11-2009 08:41 PM

Rib?

Do you usually serve Spares or babybacks at a catering gig? Do you offer a choice?

Also I have a small drop off gig for Saturday. They may not be eating right away. The client asked me about warming the pork and ribs back up. Any suggestions on this. Usually the food is eaten right away. Never had to warm it back up.

The food will be in foil pans.

Thanks

Garth57 03-11-2009 09:13 PM

No idea Brian, but good for you on the gig. Hope it turns out more!!

Brian in So Cal 03-11-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garth57 (Post 875484)
No idea Brian, but good for you on the gig. Hope it turns out more!!

Thanks Bill,

NotleyQue 03-11-2009 09:23 PM

Spares are cheaper = more money for you.
Baby Backs are what more people think of as ribs. If you give them both, the majority will eat the BBQ Backs.
Personally I would do Baby Backs.

Have em warm it up in the oven at 250. spray a bit of apple juice on it. to moisten it up.

BBS and Mista answered a million questions I had. CRocke is a fountain of knowlege as well.
I hope you do well at this one bro.

Brian in So Cal 03-11-2009 09:51 PM

Thanks Gary

ThomEmery 03-11-2009 10:17 PM

I have Food Saver bagged a few drop offs at the Holidays
Kyle gave our customers racks of Ribs for Christmas
Yea in a Foil Pan add a lil Apple Juice and warm it in the oven

I usually have St Luis Cut on catering
and use the Rib Tips for those Guys that
always come around before your ready to serve

Brian in So Cal 03-11-2009 10:29 PM

Good advice Thom.

Thanks

big brother smoke 03-11-2009 11:46 PM

Hey I gave you advice, farker:biggrin:

grillfella 03-12-2009 02:05 AM

have them buy chaffing trays they sell the cheap ones for around $12- 15 bucks:-D

hossrocks 03-12-2009 09:49 AM

We never use BB for catering. We offer them but seldom sell them. Once they see the st louis style they are hooked.
Wrap them in foil, low oven 180-200 until ready to eat.

Divemaster 03-12-2009 09:57 AM

For the ribs I like them to warm them in a 350* oven for 25-30 minutes. I should note that I put no sauce on them for a drop off like this. I would also say that I normally pull the ribs early so that they are slightly under done (tenderness wise). This allows the re-heat to actually finish off the cooking...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomEmery (Post 875609)
I have Food Saver bagged a few drop offs at the Holidays
Kyle gave our customers racks of Ribs for Christmas
Yea in a Foil Pan add a lil Apple Juice and warm it in the oven

I normally go with the cryo-suck approach (2 pound bags) as well.. My customers like it because they can warm what they need and freeze the rest...

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotleyQue (Post 875564)
Have em warm it up in the oven at 250. spray a bit of apple juice on it. to moisten it up.

If you have to use the foil pans I agree, spray, cover, and warm at 250*...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomEmery (Post 875609)
I usually have St Luis Cut on catering
and use the Rib Tips for those Guys that
always come around before your ready to serve

I offer both, but usually they want BB's... It's a Chicago thing I think... I do have a couple of customers that like the St. Louis cut because I offer both the ribs and tips for $25 rather than $18 for just the ribs.... If they want BB's, its $20 a slab...

Brian in So Cal 03-17-2009 09:19 PM

Thanks for all the help, Ended up reheateing everything on the grill. They loved it. This was my most nerve racking gig. Even though it was only supposed to be 10 people it turned into 22 which I only found out that morning.

I have done small gigs before but this could lead into some rather large gigs. I really needed to impress these clients. I did get a call today from one of the people there about doing a 30 person gig in two weeks.

I also got two new clients that want me to do there contracting work. So all in all it turned out rather well.

Thanks

hossrocks 03-17-2009 11:03 PM

Gratz man... Keep up the good work. Hope you were able to stick it to them for jammin up the head count!

douglaslizard 03-17-2009 11:30 PM

im not a caterer but i would say do st.louis cut .more meat on them imho .people will want more for the money i would anyhow .on edit i guess i shoulda looked at the date .congrats on the good job and upcoming customers.i hope to get into catering some day soon.

big brother smoke 03-18-2009 07:18 AM

Brian,

I got you message last night; my phone was on vibrate. Congrats on the gig!