The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brining - worth it for smoked pork shoulder? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48708)

abrouns 09-04-2008 01:45 PM

Brining - worth it for smoked pork shoulder?

Hey - I've brined a turkey before and had great results just baking it in the oven. It comes out much jucier, and because turkeys can come out so dry it's worth doing. I've never brined a pork shoulder, but recently have been reading about it. Has anyone tried, and what is your experience?

Thanks,

Alex

barbefunkoramaque 09-04-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abrouns (Post 729616)
Hey - I've brined a turkey before and had great results just baking it in the oven. It comes out much jucier, and because turkeys can come out so dry it's worth doing. I've never brined a pork shoulder, but recently have been reading about it. Has anyone tried, and what is your experience?

Thanks,

Alex

no no... I had enter no twice because the response has to be at least 4 characters

ipls3355 09-04-2008 01:51 PM

I tried it once.........once

It really wasn't too bad, but if I wanted ham, I would have cooked a ham.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 09-04-2008 01:53 PM

A well cooked butt is juicy as is.

Some people inject them for flavor, but I like the taste of pork so don't even do that. :mrgreen:

Bbq Bubba 09-04-2008 01:55 PM

Brining birds is a great idea to help retain moisture and flavor, but butts have enough fat marbeling to keep them moist while cooking low n slow.

Roo-B-Q'N 09-04-2008 01:55 PM

Nope enough juices in the meat to keep it moist, only way you are going to dry it out is to overcook it.

abrouns 09-04-2008 01:57 PM

Thanks - just as I suspected. What about flavor injections? Any favorites out there?

milehigh 09-04-2008 02:23 PM

I brined one once and it came out great! If you have the room, do a side by side comparison.

Paul

Arlin_MacRae 09-04-2008 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abrouns (Post 729641)
Thanks - just as I suspected. What about flavor injections? Any favorites out there?

The best I've made to date was a spicy rub, mixed into Dr Pepper and injected. The sweetness was awesome...

big brother smoke 09-04-2008 05:16 PM

I brine my butts always for comps and catering. However, that is just me!
It never comes out hammy and it delivers a flavor profile that I like. I am not just using sugar and salt in water though.

jestridge 09-04-2008 05:19 PM

I have brine come out great it appear to cut down cooking time but I usually inject with salty apple juice .

GridironGriller 09-04-2008 05:19 PM

I brine...add lots of spices to the salt, molasses mix. Turn out great every time. Never had any come out hammy or salty.

Trainwreck 09-04-2008 05:42 PM

I tend to lean towards brining. I have injected I have brined and I have done nothing. I like the flavor more when I brine then anything else I have tried. With the right brine and the right amount of time in the brine it should not taste like a ham. It is preference though. Like milehigh said do a comparison and see what you like best.

Paulie G. 09-04-2008 05:45 PM

I wouldn't try it with shoulder because it has enough intramuscular fat to keep it moist during the long cook. I do brine with leaner cuts of pork though.

Brian in So Cal 09-04-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big brother smoke (Post 729831)
I brine my butts always for comps and catering. However, that is just me!
It never comes out hammy and it delivers a flavor profile that I like. I am not just using sugar and salt in water though.

What other ingrediants are you using? :-D:mrgreen: