If searing one or two steaks- Which would you use?

Would you opt for a Smokey Joe or 22inch Kettle If Searing Steaks?

• Total voters

captjoe06

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Reading a post about high heat and wanting the coals as close to the steak as possible wouldn't a smokey Joe be the better go- to than a 22 inch kettle?
Unless you built up the coals wouldn't they be further away on the kettle as opposed to the smokey Joe, or wouldn't you need to use more coals to get them higher in the kettle to be as close as they get on a smokey Joe?

Which grill would you use between the two if you were only cooking one or two steaks?

The joe for heat but the kettle is easier to work with since it's taller.

Your title says searing but down below it says cooking. Are we cooking and searing or just searing? If we're cooking then I'll take the 22 inch kettle so I can reverse sear. I don't think you'd have the real estate to do that with 2 steaks on a smokey joe. If we're really talking about just searing then you'd be closer to the fire with the joe.

The joe doesn't hold as much fuel so you'd need to get the charcoal ready and get the steaks on at the right time. I feel like the kettle would be more forgiving and it produces more than enough BTU's to get a good sear.

Closeness makes a difference but for super high heat you need a volume of coals. The deeper the coal bed the more blazin you can get.

I have the kettle and just bought a jumbo joe for cooking steaks since its usually just two of us. I liked the size better and you can stack coals up higher. Put grill grates on and you have a searing monster. I didn't vote.

If I was just searing I would use a chimney or the SJ since I could get them going faster. If I was going to cook the steak as well I would use the Kettle and build a two zone fire so I can sear on one side and cook indirect on the other.

I'll answer assuming two steaks, but my answer isn't either of the poll options. I'd go Jumbo Joe, the 18". There's enough room for two zone cooking for two steaks and it's small enough that you can get the coals together nicely for a good sear. I've done the chimney thing and it works, but it's a one steak at a time deal and that part I didn't like.

Weber Jumbo Joe Kettle

I would vote for the Weber Jumbo Joe if it was listed as it with a couple of modifications is one fine steak cooker.

DSC03345.jpg

I run a stainless steel charcoal basket that raises up my coal bed up closer to the Grill Grates. It is also the size of my two standard Grill Grates.

DSC03346.jpg

My setup heating up for some steaks.

DSC03348.jpg

I like to run my cooker at about 600-650 degrees for the best results for my steaks.

DSC03349.jpg

A nice 1-1/4” ribeye (16 oz) will cook in about 8-9 minutes total to a nice medium rare steak.

DSC03357.jpg

A nice ribeye just off of the Jumbo Joe.

DSC03330.jpg

I can also run a flat cast iron griddle with this setup.

I would vote for the Weber Jumbo Joe if it was listed as it with a couple of modifications is one fine steak cooker.

DSC03345.jpg

I run a stainless steel charcoal basket that raises up my coal bed up closer to the Grill Grates. It is also the size of my two standard Grill Grates.

DSC03346.jpg

My setup heating up for some steaks.

DSC03348.jpg

I like to run my cooker at about 600-650 degrees for the best results for my steaks.

DSC03349.jpg

A nice 1-1/4” ribeye (16 oz) will cook in about 8-9 minutes total to a nice medium rare steak.

DSC03357.jpg

A nice ribeye just off of the Jumbo Joe.

DSC03330.jpg

I can also run a flat cast iron griddle with this setup.

Nice mod.:thumb:

I've never been able to get great heat out of my Smokey Joe like I can on my larger kettles so I would go with the 22" kettle and build an appropriate sized fire.

Back