Whole Boston Butt Pricing???

J

jdmedf

I have been asked to smoke whole butts for a person that wants to give them as Christmas presents. He is wanting 40 butts, whole..no pulling, just warpped and he'll pick up. Any suggestions as to what to charge per butt. Thanks.

Well, considering its like a manufacture job. I wouldn't over charge like a catering event. He is picking up at your door. I would Charge by Piece.
If they are 1.60 LB I would
Add total cost for wood or fuel+ Seasonings, plus your time (Value), MIsc Materials and meat cost.
Example Scenario
meat -1.60x 320 LBS (40 EA x 8 LBS) =$560
Fuel, Charcoal 40 LBS =$16
Seasonings 20 LBS for that much meat say your seasoning is 4.50 LB= $88
Time(just say $15 hr) say 12 hrs=$180
Total pPent is $844.00 divided by 40 Butts gives you a starting price of $ 21.10 per butt or at 6 LBS avg yield per butt is about $3.50 LB Cooked Meat. I would keep to Butt price each. Cut em a deal say $20 per butt in this situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Flavor Gangster....that helps greatly. I had kinda figured on $20 - $25 a butt. I'm so used to figuring catering jobs and per person the whole butt question vapor locked me. Appreciate the breakdown of pricing.

For me I'm getting about a 50% yield on meat and a butt would yield 4 to 4.5 lbs of meat. Normally I get $11.50 per lb but this time of year if I got the call today for 40 butts whole for Christmas I would do $30 per butt.

Your welcome, just glad to lay out some info someone can use. Hope it helps.

Back