The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Home smoked tasso... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145286)

caseydog 10-02-2012 07:20 PM

Home smoked tasso...

I am getting ready to make a big batch of tasso. I want to go as authentic as possible, but I am finding all kinds of recipes, and they vary greatly. Some recipes call for a brine, others for a cure, some have five ingredients, while others have a dozen.

The only thing they have in common is boneless pork but sliced into roughly one-inch strips.

Can brethren offer some insight on tasso?

CD

Stoke&Smoke 10-02-2012 07:28 PM

I think BBQ Grail (Larry) did a writeup on Michael Ruhlman's version in the book Charcuterie.

I'd share the recipe, but books at home, and I'm not

chicagokp 10-02-2012 07:28 PM

1 pound kosher salt
8 oz sugar
2 oz pink salt
3 tbsp white pepper
1.5 tbsp cayenne
3 tbsp ground marjoram
3 tbsp ground allspice

5 pounds of pork butt

This is the recipe from my charcuterie book.

Which means it is probably a good starting point. I don't know enough for truly authentic. And I am sure everyone has a method.

caseydog 10-02-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagokp (Post 2232788)
1 pound kosher salt
8 oz sugar
2 oz pink salt
3 tbsp white pepper
1.5 tbsp cayenne
3 tbsp ground marjoram
3 tbsp ground allspice

5 pounds of pork butt

This is the recipe from my charcuterie book.

Which means it is probably a good starting point. I don't know enough for truly authentic. And I am sure everyone has a method.

Great, now I have another recipe to add to the pile. :doh:

Thanks, though. I am finding that what tasso was originally is not what it is today.

CD

chicagokp 10-02-2012 08:04 PM

Excited to see what you end up doing.

caseydog 10-02-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagokp (Post 2232837)
Excited to see what you end up doing.

Yeah, me too.

CD :becky:

chriscw81 10-02-2012 08:57 PM

when i have some(rarely) i put tasso in my gumbo. YUMMMY!!!!

looking forward to seeing your tasso pron :becky:

Hawg Father of Seoul 10-03-2012 09:48 AM

Just do a some small batches and compare. You can adjust for your big batch. Ruhlman's recipe is good, but I have no idea what "historic" Tasso was like.

BUT seriously, who cares. Make something that is tasty and embodies YOUR idea of Tasso. Are you a cook or a chef?

chad 10-03-2012 09:52 AM

I make a few slices when I do sausage. I use Michael Ruhlman's recipe. It turns out great and freezes real well, especially in vacuum bags. I just use the "left-over" pork butt after weighing the sausage meat. I keep a batch of Ruhlman's tasso cure made up all the time.

deguerre 10-03-2012 10:01 AM

This is interesting. It may be closer to the original French dish Tasseau :

http://haitiantrditionalcuisine.blog.../07/tasso.html

Tasso Tasso de boeuf

Tasso is an old method of preserving meat that is almost no longer used today; except in the country. It's one of our Taino Indians cooking heritage.
Tasso can be made of any kind of lean strip of meat heavily seasoned, dried and either fried or grilled, but never smoked. Although it can be used as a seasoning for vegetables and soups,its not like the famous Cajun tasso , but it's more of beef jerky type only not as chewy, tasso can also be used for sandwiches,salads and,pastas.
In Haiti Tasso is mostly made with beef or goat occasionally with turkey. The very distinctive and delicious flavor of the meat is carried on today in a modern version.

3 lbs of fresh brisket, flank steak, pot roast
cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inches slices
juice of 2 sour oranges
juice of 2 limes
4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 scallions finely chopped
1 tabs of salt
2 scotch bonnet pepper chopped
4 sprigs of thyme
1tsp of ground cloves (yes this is correct, one teaspoon)
1 tsp of ground black pepper
1/4 of a cup oil

Place meat and the rest of the ingredients in a large plastic bowl, cover, let marinate at least 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
When the meat is well marinated it can be put to dry in the sun for 2-3 days or until the meat is totally dried without any moisture and it will be ready for frying or grilling.
The other way to proceed is to place the meat in a pan , add enough water to cover it ( about 3 cups) boil until meat is cooked but not tender, because it's going to be cooked again. Drain meat , reserve the cooking broth to make sauce ti Malice. At this point it's ready for frying or grilling Fry meat in hot oil quickly to obtain a nice golden color, but not too long so the meat doesn't dry up too much, or grill 3 inches from the fire to obtain a golden color.
Tasso is usually serve with fried plantain, , avocado salad, acrats, red beans and rice, sauce ti malice, pickliz

Bludawg 10-03-2012 10:39 AM

This is the recipe I have used for years as far as I know it is a traditional recipe. but then Taso recipes are like BBQ rub.....

TASSO

Recipe courtesy of Chef Alex Patout's

8-10 pounds boneless pork butt
5 tablespoons salt
5 tablespoons cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons white pepper
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons garlic powder or granulated garlic

Trim the pork of all excess fat and cut it into strips about 1 inch thick and at least 4 inches long. Mix together the seasonings and place in a shallow pan. Roll each strip of pork in the seasoning mixture and place on a tray. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least overnight (preferable a couple of days).

Prepare your smoker. Place the pork strips on a grill or rod and smoke until done, 5-7 hours. Don't let the smoker get too hot. Remove the meat and let it cool completely, then wrap well in plastic and foil. The tasso will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 10 days, and it also freezes very well.

pahutchens 10-03-2012 11:31 AM

Made some for a friend a few weeks back. Used just rub with no cure salt one of 6 recipes I found in the site here. It was good but no idea what traditional tastes like especially here in MN so nothing to compare. I did like the marjoram in the rub though

chad 10-03-2012 12:10 PM

Rub would be good but basically turn out country ribs.

Tasso has to have attitude: read that as cayenne and HEAT...otherwise it's not tasso. However, as BluDawg said it's a bit like talking about BBQ rub. Also, tasso is cured, smoked, goodness. Mine comes out a lot like very thick jerky - best to have a good knife to cube it up. Tasso is not intended to be eaten by itself but used as an ingredient in things like gumbo, jambalya, etc. However, YMMV!

eddieh70301 10-03-2012 01:27 PM

Here's one from John Folse's web site. jfolse.com
  • 4 pounds pork butt
  • 1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 tbsp Louisiana Gold Pepper
  • 1/4 cup fresh cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 sup cracked black pepper
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • 1/2 cup granulated garlic
Cut pork butt into one half inch thick strips. Place on a baking pan and season with Worcestershire and Louisiana Gold sauces. Once liquids are well blended into meat, add all remaining ingredients. Mix well into meat to ensure that each piece is well coated with the seasoning mixture. Cover with clear wrap and refrigerate overnight. Using a home style smoker, and using briquettes flavored with pecan wood and sugar cane strips if possible, smoke tasso at 175-200 degrees F for two and a half hours.

eddieh70301 10-03-2012 01:29 PM

Here's a link to another recipe.
http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/11/0...-tasso-recipe/