The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   BBQ Brethren Throwdown - "Ribs" (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58054)

bigabyte 03-09-2009 01:43 PM

BBQ Brethren Throwdown - "Ribs"

This weeks category is...

"Ribs"
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1387/...e91220c159.jpg
Photo from unknown source

Here are the rules!

1) The item must be either Grilled or Smoked.
2) It has to be cooked during the current throwdown week ( 3/9 - 3/15 ).
3) All pics (any number) must be submitted by 9pm Central on 3/16.
4) Only one picture from one dish will be used for voting, so please specify which one you want used, otherwise I will choose and my decision will be final.

The voting will begin by Tuesday 3/17 after I submit the "Vote" thread and voting will close on Sunday 3/22.

Next weeks category will be detemined by the winner of the "Quesadilla" throwdown deez20!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

bbqbull 03-09-2009 01:59 PM

Not to start problems here, just 2 quick questions for ya.

#1 Can you use an electric smoker?

#2 Can you use country style ribs or must they be in a rack form?

bigabyte 03-09-2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqbull (Post 873404)
Not to start problems here, just 2 quick questions for ya.

#1 Can you use an electric smoker?

#2 Can you use country style ribs or must they be in a rack form?

:roll: Sheesh! those are good questions though.

You can definitely use an electric smoker. The only stipulation is that the food must be either grilled or smoked, fuel source is not specified.

The second one is the REALLY good question. Seeing as how this was not specified, I could say yes for some, no for others. Allow me to explain.

Some pork Country Style Ribs are cut from the Shoulder (Butt). I usually see them labeled here as Shoulder Cut Country Style ribs. I would not consider these ribs since they are actually from the shoulder and not from the "ribs". However, other pork Country Style Ribs come from the Rib end of the Loin, and I would say these qualify as "ribs" based on where they are cut from.

Beef Country Style Ribs are from the chuck and are cut from the Chuck, which would not be "ribs" at all.

I would have to say that due to the confusion, it will be best if Country Style Ribs are NOT allowed. Due to many beef ribs only being available in single-bone form, I would say that being in rack form is not required, but bones are required as evidence as of them actually being ribs.

That's my final decision. Thank you for asking. It is best this gets resolved early.

bbqbull 03-09-2009 02:18 PM

Well the reason I asked is due to our weather forcast.......rain tonite and tomorrow w/t-storms, changing over to snow possible including up to 50 mph winds expected.
My electric smoker works great in the garage.
I have a package of country style, bone in ribs that I was planning on doing on the electric Cookshack w/smoke.
Guess im out of the contest, thanks for the long, well thought out awnsers sir!

JimT 03-09-2009 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqbull (Post 873414)
Well the reason I asked is due to our weather forcast.......rain tonite and tomorrow w/t-storms, changing over to snow possible including up to 50 mph winds expected.
My electric smoker works great in the garage.
I have a package of country style, bone in ribs that I was planning on doing on the electric Cookshack w/smoke.
Guess im out of the contest, thanks for the long, well thought out awnsers sir!

Jesus, Bull, now I gotta go check the weather forecast!
:wink:

JimT

puff 03-09-2009 06:18 PM

I cooked spares today and didn't take one farkin' pic!
Guess I should have checked here earlier. :sad:

gpalasz 03-09-2009 07:00 PM

great choice...been craving some ribs, so...great timing.

JD McGee 03-09-2009 07:13 PM

Perfect timing...my wife's girlfriend is flying up from LA this weekend to go to the Barry Manilow concert with my her (I dodged that bullet :twisted:) and she suggested I cook some ribs for her...it's the least I could do since she saved me from having to listen to the Copa Cabana Guy all night! :lol::lol::lol: Baby Back's on the BGE it is...:biggrin:

Bbq Bubba 03-09-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puff (Post 873568)
I cooked spares today and didn't take one farkin' pic!
Guess I should have checked here earlier. :sad:

Didn't make a farkin phonecall either. :twisted:

I'll be shoppin for some Beef ribs fo sure!

Weiser 03-09-2009 07:50 PM

Just A Thought.

Beef or Pork?
We are talking about two different food groups here.

Just being curious.

Weiser

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigabyte (Post 873411)
:roll: Sheesh! those are good questions though.

You can definitely use an electric smoker. The only stipulation is that the food must be either grilled or smoked, fuel source is not specified.

The second one is the REALLY good question. Seeing as how this was not specified, I could say yes for some, no for others. Allow me to explain.

Some pork Country Style Ribs are cut from the Shoulder (Butt). I usually see them labeled here as Shoulder Cut Country Style ribs. I would not consider these ribs since they are actually from the shoulder and not from the "ribs". However, other pork Country Style Ribs come from the Rib end of the Loin, and I would say these qualify as "ribs" based on where they are cut from.

Beef Country Style Ribs are from the chuck and are cut from the Chuck, which would not be "ribs" at all.

I would have to say that due to the confusion, it will be best if Country Style Ribs are NOT allowed. Due to many beef ribs only being available in single-bone form, I would say that being in rack form is not required, but bones are required as evidence as of them actually being ribs.

That's my final decision. Thank you for asking. It is best this gets resolved early.

bigabyte 03-09-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiser (Post 873637)
Beef or Pork?
We are talking about two different food groups here.

Just being curious.

Weiser

Ribs. Can be from any animal. Pork, Beef, Lamb, Goat, even chicken if you want to try and sneak that one by everyone, but I'm guessing "Chicken Ribs" won't get a lot of votes. Plus, if you slice them, they would be really thin.:biggrin:

Weiser 03-09-2009 08:11 PM

I dunno Baker, I think that your original question leaves
a lot of things open for interpretation.:wink:

Chicken Ribs.... sounds like my X

What it the protest policy? Did this week start yesterday? If so, I may have a submission.

Weiser

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigabyte (Post 873644)
Ribs. Can be from any animal. Pork, Beef, Lamb, Goat, even chicken if you want to try and sneak that one by everyone, but I'm guessing "Chicken Ribs" won't get a lot of votes. Plus, if you slice them, they would be really thin.:biggrin:

bigabyte 03-09-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiser (Post 873658)
I dunno Baker, I think that your original question leaves
a lot of things open for interpretation.:wink:

Chicken Ribs.... sounds like my X

What it the protest policy? Did this week start yesterday? If so, I may have a submission.

Weiser

What "original question" did I ask that left open too many things for interpretation?

gpalasz 03-09-2009 08:16 PM

Submit..all pron is worthy of a looksy

Weiser 03-09-2009 08:19 PM

My mistake, got your question confused with Bull's response.
After re-reading your challenge, I'll go back to the store.
I was early by a day. I'll post yesterday's just to keep things on the up and up.

Weiser

The Ribs in that photo look dry although, the Lettuce adds a bit of color.
The Glycerin makes for a nice shine on the meat.
Had those been your's, I would have lost all respect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigabyte (Post 873664)
What "original question" did I ask that left open too many things for interpretation?