The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I burn my chicken. oh and a question? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156561)

basuraman 03-19-2013 02:15 PM

I burn my chicken. oh and a question?

Well not really. But ya kinda.

Ok what I am getting at is grilling chicken with sauce on it. Ever since I started grilling stuff I have put BBQ sauce on my chicken breasts before I grill it. Guess what happens. It gets a little charred and burnt in places. Um and I kind of like it. However every site and cook book I read says only sauce in the last 5 minutes.

Am I the only one who does this?

Have a great day.

ITBFQ 03-19-2013 02:19 PM

You are not alone, my friend.

bigabyte 03-19-2013 02:20 PM

Most don't do this for that reason, but I began that way before I knew what I was doing, and I still do that once in a while. I like it for some reason, it's nostalgic in a way, and damn good in my opinion.

When doing it that way, I marinate my skin-on chicken in a bag with sauce for a few hours in the fridge, then on the grill, and baste more sauce on during cooking which helps reduce the charring from becoming a problem really. Just keep cooking and saucing until done.

Farking delicious!

Most times though, I don't sauce my chicken at all, to be honest...since we're talking about chicken for eating at home. But that's because there are more recipes and uses for unsauced chicken, really.

aawa 03-19-2013 02:21 PM

some people like the char from the sugar burning.

I am in the camp where I sauce about 10mins before I pull the chicken off the grill to get a little bit of char with the chicken but not much.

Thermal Mass 03-19-2013 02:25 PM

I used to also. I don't any more, usually due to many "Oh Fark, I think it's burning" events...:shock:
Now I brine and light dust of seasoning then offer sauce at the end or when serving, depending on guest preference.
NOTICE:
subject to change without notice due mostly in part to curiosity.

Lake Dogs 03-19-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basuraman (Post 2414081)
Well not really. But ya kinda.

Ok what I am getting at is grilling chicken with sauce on it. Ever since I started grilling stuff I have put BBQ sauce on my chicken breasts before I grill it. Guess what happens. It gets a little charred and burnt in places. Um and I kind of like it. However every site and cook book I read says only sauce in the last 5 minutes.

Am I the only one who does this?

Have a great day.

You're not the only one. My father has done this on ribs his whole life, and the very thing he loves about his ribs are the very thing I hate about his ribs and grew up thinking I hate ribs...

It's all personal choice.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 03-19-2013 02:29 PM

Back in the day, burnt on the outside usually meant half raw on the inside, so I avoided burnt "barbecued" chicken for many years. If yours is cooked well inside, I bet it is tasty.

Skidder 03-19-2013 02:45 PM

Shoot you all know nothing about grilled chicken. It takes no less than 14 hours to do it right. Haha
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...r1/chix001.jpg

bigabyte 03-19-2013 02:48 PM

:laugh::pound::rofl:

Maybe a little more basting of sauce?:laugh:

gtr 03-19-2013 02:59 PM

I haven't sauced chicken since I can't remember when, but now I'm thinking it'd be fun to do once in a while.

Ole Man Dan 03-19-2013 03:12 PM

Better to sauce about 15 minutes before you pull the Chicken.
I sauce a little early to let the sauce 'set'.
I get Chicken that's done, and not burned.

Lately I've been on a jag of doing 'Carolina Style' Chicken...
(Good change up, The Mustard grows on you)

LMAJ 03-19-2013 05:48 PM

Humm... I haven't sauced chicken in a long time either, but I do like that little char.. maybe need to add that to my next chicken cook.

K-JUN 03-19-2013 06:05 PM

I use a mop with white wine, oil, worchestershire, and some seasonings. The skin gets nice and crispy. Then serve sauce on the side for those who like it.

HankB 03-19-2013 08:00 PM

If you and the people you're serving like it that way (a little charred) then do it!

Probably not a good strategy at a competition though.

Wampus 03-19-2013 09:20 PM

We don't care for sauced chicken. We like it either hot smoked with rub/seasoning only or direct grilled with seasoning. I won't say that I NEVER sauce chicken at home, but if I do, I'll sauce at the end and put it back on INDIRECT heat only to set the sauce. Direct heat will always seem to burn it.