The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   1st comp coming up, feeling the pressure (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151433)

jketron 01-13-2013 06:28 PM

1st comp coming up, feeling the pressure

I'm going jump into the comp BBQ circuit this year. I've read, I've studied, I've taken classes, I've judged, I've practiced.... I am excited!!!!!

I'd love to hear any advice you have, dos donts...

Videos... I'll tak anything when it comes to learning

Teamfour 01-13-2013 06:36 PM

Read Starting the Fire by George Hensler.

jketron 01-13-2013 06:38 PM

I've read that and loved it, I second the vote for that reading.

"Bone to Bark" BBQ 01-13-2013 06:45 PM

1. Don't kill your self "over-preparing"
2. Do take your cooking seriously
3. Do ENJOY the experience
4. Don't finish DAL

Those and a few other common sense things will make for a great time!

Meat Man 01-13-2013 07:09 PM

When and where is your first comp?

jketron 01-13-2013 07:29 PM

High Desert BBQ Showdown, Victorville CA

Ive got Johnny's class and a few judgings before then to take in more knowledge

Meat Man 01-13-2013 08:13 PM

I don't know if you have yet, but one thing that really helped me prepare for my first contest was actually doing a four meat cook. I only did one practice four meat cook, but it really helped me.

kenthanson 01-13-2013 09:10 PM

DO NOT GET SH*TTY DRUNK ON FRIDAY NIGHT!!!
That is all.

JerryA 01-13-2013 09:24 PM

Lots of time before your fist comp.. Practice your timing. Make sure you're happy with your 4 meats and then it's all about executing it at the comp.
Most importantly make all your turn ins and have fun!

jketron 01-13-2013 09:26 PM

What are you folks using for hot water? Clean up water

nucornhusker 01-13-2013 09:33 PM

I ran a full practice comp the week before to get my timing down and get one out of the way so to speak. I was more nervous when I did that, than when I actually competed. Being at a comp and the fun atmosphere, BBQ camaraderie and all that goes along with it, just made it so fun I didn't feel nervous, and I did well.

But again, a full practice cook is a good idea.

Ron_L 01-13-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Man (Post 2327704)
I don't know if you have yet, but one thing that really helped me prepare for my first contest was actually doing a four meat cook. I only did one practice four meat cook, but it really helped me.

Do this! Set up in your yard just as you will at the comp and run a mock competition. Every time you have to go into the house for something, write it down!

For hot water lots of guys use an igloo drink cooler and boil water with a turkey fryer and put it in the drink cooler. It will stay hot for hours.

JerryA 01-14-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jketron (Post 2327802)
What are you folks using for hot water? Clean up water

I use a Coleman Hot Water On Demand that I bought used on eBay

altomari8868 01-14-2013 12:41 AM

Three things:
* Have a time line written down from when you arrive till when you leave. It was a huge help when I first started...
* Stick with what you practiced. Do not get caught up changing because you heard or may have seen another team doing something. Write things down as you go and make changes when and if you need to when it is practice time.
* Have fun and really take in the entire experience, call it a win for yourself if you do not finish D-A-L.
Good luck and let us know how you did... :eusa_clap

Hawg Father of Seoul 01-14-2013 06:36 AM

Lots of good advice here, pay attention to the not getting drunk part.

You are plenty prepared. If you can not pull it off now (with all that money spent) you never will. Good luck.