The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Curious: Front Yard/Driveway Cooking (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279122)

JohnH12 02-29-2020 09:40 AM

That wasn't my intention. This is the best BBQ forum around.
The barbs and shots across the bow sound like any happy hour that I attended while in the Navy.
A few got offended but most just returned fire.

TxQGuy 02-29-2020 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnH12 (Post 4277443)
Congratulations forum members. 148 posts and not one mention of political leanings!
Wow!
Hope I don't get censured or banned for that.

I will say this: when it comes to grilling chicken, I love both right and left wings equally. Thanks folks, I'm here all week. Try the veal,and don't forget to tip your server. :bow:

WSM18Lang48 02-29-2020 11:52 AM

Most of the time I keep my smoker in the garage and it is quite heavy. I wheel it around to the back yard when I am using it. If it is raining or snowing I use it in the drive way out front otherwise I track all sorts of mud and junk in house.

Robert 02-29-2020 11:53 AM

"It takes all sorts to make the world go round". I live in the "friendly" south. In my adulthood, I have owned two houses. One for 14 years and the second one since 1998 to present. Neither have been in "front porch" neighborhoods. Mainly just a friendly wave and a few conversations out by the mail box from time to time. First house had a pool and we hosted many pool parties/cookouts every summer, but mostly friends not from the neighborhood. Had a screened porch and lots of patio space. All cooking was in the back until 1996 when I started competing in BBQ cook-offs. Cooked on the driveway quite a bit during the first year trying to hone my skills, because new trailer smoker wouldn't fit in back yard. Had a lot more conversations and gave away a lot of bad samples which over time seemed to lessen the curiosity conversations. Moved to new house in 1998. No pool, but more room and had a 14x28 shop and a 12x16 storage building for my quickly growing cooking equipment. Only drawback to this house is no covered cooking area. About five years ago, one of my nephews was getting married. Hosted a pre-wedding party for the local family and my out of town brother and his kids and spouses, about 20 people. Was requested to do ribs and ABT's as that is what they all seem to love most. Smoked a bunch of ribs was going to do the ABT's on the Weber kettles. However, just before I start the chimney's for the kettles, it starts to rain and rain and rain, a veritable toad strangler. Ribs are done and resting. A bunch of ABT's are prepped and ready to go. I do have a covered front porch that runs 3/4 the length of the house. After about 45 minutes of the deluge, we notice that animals are starting to pair up and get in line. So, a command decision was made to move the kettles to the front porch, much to my wife's dismay. Most of the males, and a few females congregated on the porch as we watched the animals getting on the boat and lit the fire and cooked the ABT's. A few cocktails and some reminiscing and some tears from stories of family passed. The neighbors never said a word.

I wished I live in a neighborhood that had folks that cooked on their driveway.

Robert

Inthewoods 02-29-2020 12:08 PM

Lot of hurt feelings in this thread.
A daily reminder that some from both sides of the argument just woke ta be offended.
Entertaining stuff though!

-D

LYU370 02-29-2020 01:45 PM

I've always lived in neighborhoods where everyone cooked in the backyard. Head out on the deck, neighbor to the left has his Weber going, neighbor behind me has his smoker going, new guy in the corner firing up his gas grill. All good. But I've been to areas/neighborhoods where people pull their grill/smoker out from the garage and fire it up in the driveway. Whatever floats your boat.

Neighbors across the street sit on their front porch & drink in the summer. I'll head on over and imbibe with them. Sometimes I'll bring some BBQ snacks, sometimes a pitcher of Margaritas.

gtr 02-29-2020 08:52 PM

I'm thinking I might kick it up a notch and cook in my neighbors' front yards.

TxQGuy 02-29-2020 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtr (Post 4277762)

The ultimate show of dominance. Bold move.

tom b 02-29-2020 09:04 PM

Quote:

with or with out pants?

pjtexas1 02-29-2020 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom b (Post 4277771)
with or with out pants?

Irrelevant. Mug shots are headshots.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ssv3 02-29-2020 09:09 PM

How about invading a stranger's front yard while we're at it. Pants optional. :laugh:

gtr 02-29-2020 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom b (Post 4277771)
with or with out pants?

With pants. But they'll be on my head. :whoo:

Baychilla 02-29-2020 11:28 PM

Quote:

That sounds better than cooking your neighbors in their yards.

LYU370 02-29-2020 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert (Post 4277523)
Robert

YIKES! tl;dr Paragraphs are your friend.

JazzCat 03-01-2020 07:19 AM

:wink: I do all my grilling and smoking in the very early hours while everyone is asleep so no one sees where or what I'm doing. :-P