What size stove gasket?

boaz65

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I started a cook late Saturday afternoon and it finished up early Sunday morning using my weber lid on my UDS. I closed up ALL of the vents and still found whisps of smoke still coming out from around the area where the lid and drum lip meet this morning (Tuesday)!!!! Apparently my 22.5 weber lid does not seal very well, despite using the flat bar mod to the drum lip. I'm thinking that I can try the stove gasket with high temp sealant mod this time. What size thickness do you think would be best? Should it be attached to the flat bar outer edge or to the inside lip of the weber lid? This is crazy....

Small whisps of smoke is no big deal but 3/8" is a good size to get.

I've been using my UDS for several months now, during cooks, most times the weber lid vent is nearly full open and temps hold fairly steady.That's probably why I never really noticed the leakage around the lid edge. I've closed all valves to shut down in the past, and it would be extinguished shortly thereafter. I have to admit, it has been quite windy here the past couple of days. Thank God I keep this thing on a solid concrete platform, I was SHOCKED to see it still smoking 2 whole days AFTER I shut it down :shock: Should I put the gasket on the lid or on the drum lip where the flat bar is installed?

With out seeing your exact set up i'd think around the drum lip area so it makes a good seal when the lid goes on. Use high temp RTV...red works good.

Also see if you're getting air leaking in from the bottom.

If your not having temp control problems I wouldn't worry about it. If the temp cruises where you want it then it's not affecting anything. If it does have a temp control issue then you can put a bead of high temp rtv in the lid trough and the lay some wax paper on it with the shiny side on the rtv the put it on the barrel and put a couple brick on the lid and come back the next day. pull off the paper and trim the access rtv. That should seal it up.

Back