The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Just another leisurely Saturday (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151976)

flyingbassman5 01-20-2013 10:45 PM

Just another leisurely Saturday

1 Attachment(s)
It was that time of year again! We cut about 7 or 8 chords of wood on Saturday out at the family farm. Had 10 acres of the 200 of it logged last May and the logging co left a lot of trunks that were labeled "defect". In other words, they weren't perfect so they didn't take them. They also left a massive pile of the tops too for us. It was all wood that for the average joe was perfect fire wood. So instead of having to fell our own trees, we lucked out and had an estimated pile of 25 to 30 chords already felled for us!! We barely made a dent!

It was all hardwood with majority of it being different types of Oak with a healthy mix Shagbark, Shellbark, and Black Hickory. In all, there were six 5 or so foot piles of wood.

I, of course made sure to pick out my fair share of hickory splits! :biggrin1: All I know is that next year I need to bring a bigger truck; my little 4 banger Frontier was puttin' up and down those Hwy CC back roads!

For now the plan is to let the hickory splits season for a few months more and then saw into chunks. Once that happens, I'll be set on hickory wood for a good while!! And yes, that is my ugly mug in the bottom of the pic and that is our I.H. 966 in the back ground...:laugh:

Midnight Smoke 01-20-2013 10:50 PM

That is a nice lot of wood, got to ask though, if you have a I.H. 966 don't you have a large wagon to use to haul the wood other than your little 4 banger? :rolleyes:

Happy Hapgood 01-20-2013 10:56 PM

Mighty Fine Sir!

flyingbassman5 01-20-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke (Post 2335851)
That is a nice lot of wood, got to ask though, if you have a I.H. 966 don't you have a large wagon to use to haul the wood other than your little 4 banger? :rolleyes:

Well if the 966 was street legal over 25mph on the interstate I would've gladly loaded down the dump trailer behind it and drove it an hour and a half back home! hahaha! I'm convincing myself I just need to go buy a Duramax. :biggrin1: The 4 banger is so good on gas though..........

Plus its technically not mine. Its in my uncle's name but is basically open to be used by whoever hops up top first. Unfortunately, that was not me this time around.. :sad:

Titch 01-20-2013 11:09 PM

Nice load of wood.
when you chunk it ,will you be collecting the sawdust as well?
cheers.
Titch

flyingbassman5 01-20-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieTitch (Post 2335865)
Nice load of wood.
when you chunk it ,will you be collecting the sawdust as well?
cheers.
Titch

Not likely, I wouldn't have a use for it BBQ or otherwise....that I know of. Have an idea??

Hoss 01-20-2013 11:16 PM

Sweet haul. We had a 1466 back in the day,ran it 3 years and sold it for enough to buy a John Deere! :clap: Congrats on the wood supply!:wink:

Titch 01-20-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 (Post 2335872)
Not likely, I wouldn't have a use for it BBQ or otherwise....that I know of. Have an idea??

slow cold smoking,or adding it in foil over charcoal.
cheers.
Titch

martyleach 01-20-2013 11:29 PM

Jeez, I wish I had access to that kind of wood out here in California.... Very nice!

flyingbassman5 01-20-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoss (Post 2335873)
Sweet haul. We had a 1466 back in the day,ran it 3 years and sold it for enough to buy a John Deere! :clap: Congrats on the wood supply!:wink:

Thanks!!

Though you leave me no choice for selling that IH....:tsk: haha!
http://www.misterdecal.com/magento/m...p/o/poihjd.jpg

charrederhead 01-21-2013 06:58 AM

That should get you through a few cooks. :wink: