Brisket and Tri Tip price/location?

thaifighter06

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello fellow Farkers!

A few questions for you on this lovely Wednesday.

What is a decent price/lb for brisket? Where have you found is the best place to get one?

My local butcher shop, while awesome and family owned, charges $5.95/lb for brisket and $8.95/lb for Tri Tip.

I've been trying to convince my wife that we need a membership to Costco solely for the meat selection, but thought I would ask my brothers and sisters in smoke before I make the final decision. Thanks!

Hello fellow Farkers!

A few questions for you on this lovely Wednesday.

What is a decent price/lb for brisket? Where have you found is the best place to get one?

My local butcher shop, while awesome and family owned, charges $5.95/lb for brisket and $8.95/lb for Tri Tip.

I've been trying to convince my wife that we need a membership to Costco solely for the meat selection, but thought I would ask my brothers and sisters in smoke before I make the final decision. Thanks!
Meat prices vary so much based on what part of the country you're from and what is a good price for you may not be the same for me. Take Tri-Tip (a west coast cut) for instance: Out here in LoCal I just stocked up when they were on sale for #2.99 a lb. but are normally sold for anywhere from $4.99 to 6.99 on the high side. I hear on the east coast $6.99 is about as low as you’ll find it. My local Costco has Brisket flats for $6.99 and whole packer for $5.99. Now I would imagine that Brisket maybe be cheaper in Texas than it would be here in LoCal.

Yesterdays prices at my local meat emporium; Brisket 2.18 lb, Tri tip 4.27 lb, Pork butts 1.79 lb, Spare ribs 3.55 lb, Chicken(whole broilers) .88 lb

I buy 95% of my smokin' meat from Sams club. In Iowa, I can usually get brisket for $2 or $2.50 / lb. And if they have Prime it isn't much more.

If I remember right, brisket, select of choice was between $2.25 and $2.99 a pound, angus choice was $3.40 a pound. Tri-tip was $4.25 a pound or so. That is at the local bulk restaurant supply place.

The choice CAB packer I looked at yesterday at the local Mom and Pop was 2.89/lb
They don't sell select brisket so I don't know about that grade here.

If you have a restaurant depot near you, you can get a KCBS membership for $30/year and get day passes into RD (cheaper than a yearly membership to costco and sam's club)

I get my meat where ever it is onsale between Restaurant Depot, local grocery stores, and local butcher's shops.

Yesterdays prices at my local meat emporium; Brisket 2.18 lb, Tri tip 4.27 lb, Pork butts 1.79 lb, Spare ribs 3.55 lb, Chicken(whole broilers) .88 lb

dang I need to move to Texas it looks like!

Tri-tip is 8.99 lb, pork butts are 2.29 lb, baby backs are 5.99 lb and whole fryers are 2.29 lb last I checked

I get tri-tip for $6.99/lb at Sams, but I have to ask for ones that haven't been cut into steaks already.

Brisket for $2.49/lb usually for CAB packers.

At Wal-Mart near me packers are about $2.39/pound. Flats are as much as $4.99/pound and pork butts are about $2.29/pound

Back