The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ET-732 testimonials (probe issues) (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108766)

Plitz 06-14-2011 02:51 PM

ET-732 testimonials (probe issues)

Hi, I was about to pull the trigger on my first wireless thermometer today.
After doing some last minute online research I had come across a few responses of people having probe issues?
It seems as though a few people are claiming that there probes are dying after 5-10 uses.I was wondering what your guy's experiences have been so far with it or if Maverick has been able to address these issues yet?
Maverick has been replacing probes free of charge,but I do not want to go through the hassle of ordering new ones or for them to break after 10 uses again.
Does anyone have any updated info on these?I want to buy one bad for my WSM,but not if it will break in a month? Thx..

P.S.
it is also my understanding that with this unit I will be able to watch my pit temps and meat temps from my couch?

beerguy 06-14-2011 02:56 PM

Yep, as long as your couch is less than 10 ft from the smoker, and within line of sight!

SmokerKing 06-14-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy (Post 1674081)
Yep, as long as your couch is less than 10 ft from the smoker, and within line of sight!

I easily get connection on my (2) ET-732's up to 40' away, line of sight, 20' or so though a wall.

dudg 06-14-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

I can not comment on the probe issues as I've only used mine less than 5 times. But the wireless distance on the new ET-732 is very good. I would say you could be on the other side of the house and this thing will work. Way over 10 ft.

hmacmill 06-14-2011 03:08 PM

I've used mine over 10 times. I was getting weird readings once but it went away after I changed the batteries. The thermometer works great. I get good readings in all rooms of my house, even the basement. The smoker is about 30 feet from the house.

(edit)...and the thermometer does both the smoker and meat temp (2 probes).

Plitz 06-14-2011 03:15 PM

Thx,for the reply's I have watched the you tube videos ect...that confirms the distance,I think we are good on that, it's the probes breaking rumors that have me concerned.:behindsofa:

Groundhog66 06-14-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that's incorrect...The ET-732 has a much better range than the older models.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plitz (Post 1674121)
it's the probes breaking rumors that have me concerned.:behindsofa:

Only one way to find out, order one.

El Ropo 06-14-2011 04:33 PM

Behind the sofa is a great place to be when people aren't directly answering your questions :)

Don't have any experience with either new or old, but have heard issues with the earlier model. Both probe failure and weak wireless connections.

Can't remember where, or what forum, but there was a bunch of PO'd Maverick purchasers somewhere.

jrbBBQ 06-14-2011 04:44 PM

I got my et-732 about 2 weeks ago, I've used it about 5 times and haven't had any problems. I also took the monitor about 150 ft away and never lost signal. I bought it for one of WSM's so I moniter the cooker from inside the house and it works really well. I have heard, don't know that other maverick thermos are pretty much junk though. On a side note, i ordered a thermapen the same day as the et-732 and it was like christmas when they showed up on the same day.

Dave Russell 06-14-2011 04:56 PM

I've gotten the older one, and as long as it has fresh batteries, it usually works reliably from the bedroom, through one interior wall and another exterior wall (with a window) for a total distance of almost thirty feet. Other than having to replace one probe, no big issues, but I do start off with fresh AAA's at the beginning of every overnighter.

I might consider the new one for the added strength, but I might have to replace my grommets (bbq guru) if the probes are much thicker. ???

Baby Back Maniac 06-14-2011 04:56 PM

One of my probes died right after I got it. They replaced it but it was still annoying because took 2 weeks for the new one to arrive. That's alot of cooks around here. ;)

Boshizzle 06-14-2011 04:58 PM

Never had a problem with my ET-73. My ET-732 is junk. The probes died and when they worked the thing would lose connection between the tx and rx two or three times during cooks. Never had any of those problems with the old version. It was huge waste of my limited BBQ money.

Warthog 06-15-2011 07:25 AM

Quote:

Not sure why you made that statement. My ET732 works very well at distances over 40 feet. The older ET73 had big problems over 10 feet.
Got it as a gift from my daughter. Mine came from the first batch and have yet to have any problems.

igolf2 06-15-2011 07:32 AM

Had mine (old style) for years without issue - can work in my front yard and monitor smoker that is in back of house on upper tier of deck without problem.

mrcranky 06-15-2011 07:34 AM

I've had me ET732 for a few months and have had no issues with it. Got mine from the Guy who sells the amaz-n-smoker.

Sent from my Nook Color using Tapatalk