Should I join KCBS?

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Brethren,

I have read a few posts in the past about people being displeased with the KCBS board, etc.

I am hoping to do a few comps this year and am thinking about joining KCBS. Is it worth it? I can compete without being a member, but I tend to lean toward supporting the organizations that are sponsoring things...

What say you?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Yes. As said you have more of an opportunity to read the Bullsheet and get more out of the discussions than from the forums only, which can be misleading. Good luck. Steve.

If you compete in bowling you have to join the WBA,
If you compete in racing you have to join NASCAR,
If you compete in shooting sports you have to join their membership,
any "hobby" that you associate with pry has a organized body to watch over it.
If your going to play their game you should belong to their organization, if the organization sucks, do what you can to make it unsuck. Don't just stand outside and complain.
KCBS isn't a perfect entity, I pay dues, vote in their elections, and support their function.
I think you should too.
Ed

I was in your same shoes recently trying to decide to join even if I didn't have to. After doing some competitions I was able to see the caliber of the people it takes to put on these events and the professionalism displayed by the KCBS reps. After the events over the New Years weekend I took a walk that involved some money so it was a no brainer for me to pony up and give some of it back. I'll avoid the politics. As long as they keep the comps as quality as they are now then I could care less what happens behind the scenes.

Join, Dan! I am up for renewal and will re-up, I want to be a paid member when things move in a better direction. I will have some decisions to make down the line, if there no hope to to re-direct the ship.

Well, you made up your mind, but personally, I don't think it's worth joining just for the sake of joining, and as far as I know, KCBS doesn't sponser comps, they sanction them. If you have a Restaraunt Depot near you or plan to take advantage of any other discounts, by all means, do so, but I don't think my membership "got" me anything. I felt insulted by a member of the BOD, ignored by a staff member, I did not feel that my patronage was appreciated, and my votes for new BOD seemed to do no good. This is just one man's opinion, but if competitions don't require membership and you don't take advantage of the discounts, why bother?

dmp

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree with dmprantz. While joining just to join is not a good idea, joining to be a vocal, active, member who works to make things better is an excellent
reason.

I interpret the frustration expressed in this forum not as a slam on the organization, but rather active voices unwilling to accept the status quo. And most of the time I see it coupled with some positive ideas to make things better. IMHO.

So, to me, the positives about joining out weigh the negatives.

I would urge you to become a part of KCBS.

I respectfully disagree with dmprantz. While joining just to join is not a good idea, joining to be a vocal, active, member who works to make things better is an excellent reason.

Actually, I think we do agree. The OP didn't say he wanted to be an active member and change things. He said he wanted to compete, and asked if he should join just because he wants to compete. By all means, if he wants to be active, I agree, he should join to be active, but if all he wants to do is compete in a few comps this year, I don't think joining is worth it. Again, my opinion, but you said joining just to join is not a good idea.....

dmp

We all love to hate stuff, but the one thing we all want is a well ran contest. When you pay KCBS for a contest (entry fee) their contract with the organizer is the trust they have grown between their contest and the cooks. You know that 99 out of 100 contest that under the judges tent you will get a fair deal and not the good ole boys judging.

Back