The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Eye of round roast (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162130)

Texas Turtle 05-30-2013 01:06 PM

Eye of round roast

Cooked a chuckie, warmed up a briskie out of the freezer, and did an eye of round roast on Memorial Day. Found the instructions for the eye of round on the Brethren website (naturally). I bought the thing on a whim because it was on sale at HEB and was a gorgeous piece of meat, but I found out that it's so lean it isn't ideally suited for BBQ. Anyway, I threw it on the WSM rubbed with some Bovine Bold and injected with some Cajun Injector marinade and stuck a remote IT probe in the thing. Pulled it at 135 per instructions and let it rest tented on the counter for about 20 minutes. Stuck it on the slicer and made thin slices (which left blood all over the counter). Threw three slices on a bun with some horseradish sauce and it was really good. Ate leftovers last night with some envelope au jus and it was even better. I probably won't try that again, but thanks to the info on here, it came out very well as far as i am concerned.

discmen95 05-30-2013 01:39 PM

I did one as the first thing on my grill (CG Kamado), with deflector. Used a Weber roasted garlic rub, because it was on sale for a dollar at the supermarket. I cooked mine at 225 (around) to 135, pulled it, and foiled it. I ate a few slices when it was hot, but put it in the fridge till the next day. Then, I sliced it on my cheap slicer. It was perfect, smoky, tender.

TroyA65 05-30-2013 01:45 PM

I like those eye of round for jerky, better to use lean cuts for that anyway.

deguerre 05-30-2013 01:54 PM

The red juice wasn't blood. It was the meats natural juices which get the red color from a protein called myoglobin. If you had let it sit longer, the roast would have reabsorbed some. At any rate, if you do get some that comes out, SAVE IT! It's nectar! Mix it in with your au juis. The eye of round is my favorite for making cold roast beef.

CharredApron 05-30-2013 01:58 PM

Sliced frozen razor thin for Philly Cheese steaks too! Yum, add some Au Jus for a double whammy!

Harmony BBQ 05-30-2013 02:01 PM

Eye of round makes great pit beef sandiwches. I cook it on pretty high heat to get a nice crust and then pull it off the grill when it hits 125-130 on the probe. Mix mayo with some horse radish, salt, pepper and a sqeeze of lemon juice for the sauce. Slice the meat thin and pile high on a kaiser roll. I think there is a recipe in BBQ USA or the BBQ Bible for Baltimore Pit Beef.

jimbloomfield 05-30-2013 06:57 PM

When I take it off I wrap and freeze it .Two hours in the freezer remove from foil and vac seal. Two days later put in the fridge for a day then slice very thin.

landarc 05-30-2013 07:27 PM

You can also cook that meat by smoking it for an hour, then into a covered casserole, along with some herbs, and wine, broth or stock then braise it until fork tender. It is quite good that way.

Pyle's BBQ 05-30-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 2498723)
The red juice wasn't blood. It was the meats natural juices which get the red color from a protein called myoglobin. If you had let it sit longer, the roast would have reabsorbed some. At any rate, if you do get some that comes out, SAVE IT! It's nectar! Mix it in with your au juis. The eye of round is my favorite for making cold roast beef.

Thank you Mr. Brown.:wink:

Daggs 05-30-2013 09:25 PM

Why don't you cook it to 165? I've never understood this!

benniesdad 05-30-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daggs (Post 2499268)
Why don't you cook it to 165? I've never understood this!

Because it is so lean, if you cook it over about 135 it will be like eating a shoe.

Neil 05-31-2013 01:42 AM

Sure beats buying deli sliced roast beef at $8.99/lb.! Eye of the round is great for making jerky because it is so lean. I do this when I can find a "Reduced for Quick Sale" sticker on them at Sam's.

Mark Warren 05-31-2013 01:47 AM

I use eye of round as my stew meat.

plakers 05-31-2013 05:11 AM

Yep, put me on the list of those who slice it thin. FrenchDip and tots makes for a quick meal. The price of Eye of Round makes it affordable too.

I just did a six pounder, used a garlic pepper rub,cooked at 225 took IT to 135, foiled, fridged then sliced the next day. Wound up with over 4 pounds sliced meat(I did sample the ends), no water added over processed stuff, now frozen and ziplocked.