THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LMAJ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
From different people - one asking me about meat and one asking me about how to to cook something on a WSM. It's his maiden cook.

Not sure when I became the expert, but it was nice to get those calls.

A lot of what I know now has come from info people on this forum have shared - so thanks folks!

Yeah I don't mind giving some advice, but I chuckle when folks think because I can cook a few things..... I know how to cook most everything. Questions like "how do i cook these ducks" or what kind of dough you make for Beef Wellington" just crack me up 'cause I don't even know were to start.

Along these lines.... this is a good time to share this....right after Christmas one of my BBQ buddies gets a phone call from one of his friends wives who is arranging a suprise birthday party for about 25 people. She wants her hubby to barbecue either a prime rib or brisket for the party. My buddy recommends prime rib (as hubby is not really a barbecue man).

She overrides the PR suggestion and goes to the only high end meat market in town and leaves with two 17# briskets, to the tune of almost $300. Next day, Hubby calls my buddy for cooking instructions, and does NOT like the sound of Plan A: "get up at Midnight or 1AM and get the briskets on".

For Plan B, my buddy says "okay, put them on the smoker at 6AM, then foil them and into a 275° oven at noon and cook them tender". This guy is apparently a late riser and doesn't like Plan B either, and a day later he called back with his own Plan C: "I'll just put them in the smoker by 10AM, then slice about 4 or 5PM, and keep warm in some broth". I sure hope he re-considers....

I get the same calls,it's a boost to the ego. But I find they want me to tell them how to cook something in a 5 minute phone call, that has taken me years to learn. Hard to do, always feel like I didn't give them enough info.

I've got a couple buddies that we share info here and there about cooking in general. One of my buddies just bought his first wsm and he's been having a blast. I've helped where I could and its a nice feeling to get those calls for me. I'm by no means an expert but I find it to be good therapy when cooking with a nap before or after we eat!:becky:

Back