9 pound pork shoulder help!!!

silverfinger

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi brethren,
My butt went to 190 in 6 hrs.
I'm thinking way to fast.
Ben cooking it at 230 to 240 all morning.
I checked to see if it would start to fall apart. No go. Looks a little pink still and even tho my thermapen seems to glide through it very well, it just don't seem done to me.

What do ya all think I should do?

When in doubt, take it to 205 IT!

Still though, a 9 pounder hitting 190 in 6 hours? @290 or 300 cook temp maybe, but at 230ish? Are you sure your cook temp is really 230?

If your pen slides through, then double foil, towel and a warm cooler for 2 hrs min. Check then. even if you don't like it then, you can still put it in the oven.

Your thermo is in a fat pocket False reading. That butt has a Built in thermo its' the bone when it wiggles loose and comes out the butt's done, Go drink another 12 pk and it will be done, at the temps your cooking at your not even through the stall yet.

If it is probing easy with no resistance. In my novice opinion your ready to rest that baby. Wrap her up in foil and cooler it! Or tent with some foil and wait till it cools to the 150's, and pull it,,

Your thermo is in a fat pocket False reading. That butt has a Built in thermo its' the bone when it wiggles loose and comes out the butt's done, Go drink another 12 pk and it will be done, at the temps your cooking at your not even through the stall yet.

Agreed with Blu. Like I first posted, an IT of 190 at a cook temp of 230 isn't gonna happen in 6 hours. Just seemed too fishy to be accurate.

No bone in this one. It's a SAMs club butt. Right now it's at 196, cooking at 225. You guys think I should pull, foil, then give it a couple hrs in the thermos ?

There is no way that butt is almost done. A 9 pounder at the temps you are running should take 10-12 hours if not more. Something has to be out of wack..

What pit are you using and what are you using to monitor cooker temps?

This kamado cooks my ribs in 3 hrs at 220. Perfect bite through type. Not under/overcooked. Just the way this old thing cooks.

There is no way that butt is almost done. A 9 pounder at the temps you are running should take 10-12 hours if not more. Something has to be out of wack..

What pit are you using and what are you using to monitor cooker temps?

I'm using the redi check maverick for the smoker temp as well as the pork. Double checking with the thermapen on the pork temp.

I'm using the redi check maverick for the smoker temp as well as the pork. Double checking with the thermapen on the pork temp.

Well you've got your bases covered and have got me stumped.

All that's left is to probe it to your liking and then wrap, rest, pull, and hope for the best.

Another vote for take it to 205 & wrap & cooler.

Personally, I dont go by temps, I would wrap it up and let it ride until its tender. The wrapping will tenderize it a lot.

I had a weird experience with a 5# pork shoulder two weekends ago, it took almost 10 hours to hit 190 it and the stall took almost 2 hours to get passed by itself 225 cook temp. Last weekend i did a 6# but at 290 and it cooked for about 7 hours with 2 hours rested. If its probing like Butta and the IT is reading 190 consistently in different areas i'de pull that bad boy, wrap it and rest it.

Back