attempting to smoke my first turkey

tx_hellraiser

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well i been reading some of the Road maps is there just some basic seasoing for the Bird?

Do you just cook the bird breast side up for the entire cook?

I need all the help i can get

I am cooking using a New braunsfel offset

does anyone have any good rubs ? do you baste this thing I dont have a freaking clue

I see some people brine some say no so dayum confused

Google for Patio Daddio's Turkey Brine. I used it last year and got rave reviews. I'm afraid to try anything new this year, so I will be using it again!

I use both Smokin Okies Holiday brine and am trying Patio Daddyos on another bird as well. I always brine. I then dust lightly with Simply Marvelous Season All, Sweet Seduction and a little Big Dick's Dry rub. Did it for a demo cook yesterday and it was incredible.

I am doing my first smoked turkey this year as well. There is a nice read and great information from Meathead on his site, www.amazingribs.com. I have also read good reviews of a Madmax recipe. If you search, there is a link with great information and pics.
Good luck! I know that I am going to need it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120494 Good turkey thread.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72774 Good brine thread.

Couple of things I'll say because I forget exactly what's in that thread, if your turkey is already enhanced it doesn't really need a brine. That's why some say do it, some say don't. I personally don't ever brine, as I don't have much of a problem in the way of a moist bird. That's just me, personally.

A good rub to use, excluding commercial ones, is one with some basil, sage, thyme, rosemary, you know.. "Thanksgiving herbs" You can do whatever sorts you like, and whatever will pair well with your stuffing.

I generally flip my bird halfway through the cook, so both sides will crisp up properly.

Hope this helps.

Back