Barrel smokers

J

jlstetler1989

Ok I want to build a barrel smoker but having trouble trying to figure out what to use for flus. What would you guys suggest?

Sorry forgot to tell yall its gunna be a double barrel smoker. I need some advice on what type of materials should i use for the flus?

I used duct pipe from Lowes on mine. It still has some gaps where it connects to the barrel, but it is the outlet anyway and I figure it doesn't matter. I see little if any smoke coming from those gaps. Mine is located in the middle top of the upper barrel. If you put the exhausts on the side you could use steel pipe with an elbow. Then the nut on the inside would be flush with the barrel and be a little more airtight. The pic below was before I put the exhaust on top, but it is on the top barrel - a little back from top dead center. The only thing left to do on this smoker is to insulate the bottom door a little more and get rid of any extra gaps around it. Maybe I can take a new pic tomorrow and show off the base and wheels I put on it. :-D

IMG_2792.jpg

ok thanks guys, One more question how did you make the lid on the top barrel and how do you keep it from leaking smoke?

Mine was cut out and the hinges welded on. I didn't construct it, just did a few upgrades. It looked like he took another barrel to make the door since it is bigger than the opening. I use a few magnets to make it close tight, but I am getting some gasket insulation to go around the door on the top barrel and the loading door on the bottom.

Back