Brine Question

Pipin' Pig

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Do you think a brine of only 1-2 hours does anything good? I am doing chicken whole and thighs on short notice for dinner tonight and have calculated that I will not have more than 1.5-2 hours of soak in my brine.

I would think that any time is better than none, but then again, I don't do a lot of brining...

Probably not...I would change the brine to a Marinade...

A little Italian Dressing always works good for me...Especially for those short notice cooks.

With only that amount of time, the thighs will take on some moisture and flavor....but I don't think the whole yardbird will.

You might wanna consider koshering the meat, and then rinsing it off with water.

dmp

I do quick brines all the time using the food saver canisters and you can definitley tell the difference.

I've read "turbo-brining" recipes for shorter brine times. If I recall correctly, there was a higher concentration of salt in them to help compensate for the shorter brining times.

Well I had about an hour and 45 for total brine time.

Brine was 3/4 of a gallon with 1/2 cup coasher salt, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup L&P woosy sauce and some thyme and Italian seasoning.

I took it out of the brine without drying and added salt, pepper and a chicken rub I am fond of and on the smoker they go.

Bird is halved and the thighs are on the rack above. Will try to cook around 275-300. Hope to have the thighs off in about 1.5 to two hours for the kids if they are done otherwise they will be eating left over fatty from the weekend. Will pull the birds when my probe reads done.

I recently used a double strength brine on a whole chicken for 1 hour then rubbed and smoked in the WSM at about 325 degrees until done. It came out great...very juicy.

Back