• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

fire basket update?

markbet

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I saw a few days ago spicewine was making some fire baskets. Is there a update on when they will be available, and the price? The way I understand it, this item will help alot on fire control.

Steel prices have gone sky high since I bought my batch in July 2003.

As an example just one part of the basket, a 4x8 ft sheet of 3/4 #9 expanded cost me $33.35. This summer, I was quoted over $100 for the same thing from the same supplier.

Each basket took me 4-5 hrs total to cut, assembly, weld and pack and 1 hr trip (plus gas) to do a round trip to drop off at the shipper, again to save the group ups pick charges. At an average gross profit of $22 per basket for 5.5 hr of dirty work, lets do the math...hum, that is about $4.00/hr. My net was nearly zero as my gas and electric bill doubled. :shock:

With the steel prices being what they are and increasing, I would have to raise the price beyond what I believe anyone would pay for the basket to maintain my $4.00/hr. So, I will not be building any more baskets.

Whoever wants to build my design baskets for the group, have at it along with my best wishes. Any one want to buy some slightly used tools? Mearsurements available on request, no drawing though, it is on only on my work bench top :( .

The fun part for me was solving the fire box poblem with a design that works and will last a very long time without having to replace the burned out bottom.

And to the 22 Brothers that bought my Baskets, all I can say is thank you for your business.

Have a great Holiday Season and lots white blue smoke :!: :D

Al -- I'll be hitting you once I get into Colorado. My move date is now scheduled for April 4th 2005.

Thanks Al. I am looking forwad to someday getting a basket from your design, even if I have to build it myself or get it from whoever chooses to build them. Thanks for helping out the brothers.

Take a vacation to Beijing, see the great wall, visit a fabricator, have baskets delivered to your door by the container load at $1.13 ea. sell for $85 and your in the import business.

Neil said:
Take a vacation to Beijing, see the great wall, visit a fabricator, have baskets delivered to your door by the container load at $1.13 ea. sell for $85 and your in the import business.

Yep I thought of that and you don't even have to go there, you can set it up on line. It's the new great American way, except NO ONE there will even consider building them in low volume of 22 sold in 9-10 months. :oops: It has to be a high volume and large shippments on a boat... UPS charged $30 to ship 37lbs to NY from Denver. Just think what the shipping cost would be from China when shipped one at a time. ($1.13 + $200 or more shipping)

Regardless of where they are built, there is a one time setup charge each time a production run is starded and when they are built one at a time, that charge is added to each one.

I went to a shop here to have them cut to size all the pieces reqired. The cost to cut the peices for 20 baskets (they would not do it at all for less than 20) was $147.00 per basket and they still would have needed to be assembled and welded. :roll: And that was way before steel prices went up :!: :shock:

BigBelly said:
Al -- I'll be hitting you once I get into Colorado. My move date is now scheduled for April 4th 2005.

Great we can celebrate my BD a couple days late , I got some cut rebar left over. We will get drunk and fire up the welder and see if we can modify my first basket for you. If you help, it will just cost you the Booze and I only drink the cheap gin, wine, beer or ????

Fabrication Bash I, April 2005. Featuring Grilled SPAM for all.

Did you check with my Pal on finding you a place yet? He makes a great drink. Bob Simpson 303-805-5898. You could email him with details of where you are going to be working (location) and how far you are willing to drive and your price range. He will starting looking for you. His e-mail is bandmproperites@myedl.com

Gin and welding......seems like I saw that in a safety video somewhere.

Didn't that come with the "Booze, Ammo, and Guns" safe hunting video series?

There we go, the thread is going to get hi-jacked by the rainbow squad! LOL

Al, once I get my arse in town (going to take a few days because I am driving and with a newborn, ack!!) I will give you a ring, make a trip to the local package good store, maybe pick up a brisket or some ribs and have at it. I can play Chef while you play Engineer! Whoo Whooo (I am sure the brethren are going to exploit that statement) =)

I got some lofty ideals about starting up a BBQ competition team, building a concession trailer, and getting more into internet sales of Jerky etc. But I will save all that for when we can chew the fat face to face and pick each others brains! Who knows, you may want to take part in some of this madness I have been hatching.

I have a great real estate agent working on the housing situation so far. However, if he falls short of my expectations I will definitely hit up your buddy. Heck, who can resist a great bartender!

Not to HiJack a thread back on topic(gasp! oh my!!) But the basket issue is pretty much worked out and we will be posting your options shortly. Thanks for being patient.

BigAl said:
He might be "the light at the end of the tunnel"!

Big Belly's a proctologist........

Pass it on.......... :shock: :shock:

(OK I'm bad, I know better, but it's so much fun........)

OK, Back On Topic..........

Don't expect production until after the first of the year. I stopped by the shop today, the boys are working non stop (farking sparks flying everywhere) to accomodate a woman that just placed an order for a custom cooker because the other present she had bought for her husband wasn't going to be available for Christmas. I wouldn't look for Spice to be on much the next few days....... 8)

Miners cap...I thought I was going to don the Chef hat? No respect I tell ya.... :?

Back